Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Via a Proxy: able to see url's that are controlled by acceess.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

djr111

Technical User
Aug 5, 2006
US
Hi,

We have an issue,

In our access.conf file, we have.

<Directory /mydata/mypath>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 1.2.3.4 foo.bar
</Directory>

This works great, the access.conf file allows and denies as requested, BUT, we just found out if we go to a free proxy server site on the internet and plug in the url associated with this config, it displays the contents, no questions asked...NOT GOOD.

I am guessing that, normally the access.conf checks the receivers ip or domain name against what it has listed in the file, but a proxy is anonymous, thus it is not showing that information and is freely able to access the websites in question.

My question is, what do I have to add to my configuration to stop this from happening, or is it a bigger problem, if so, any help would be appreciated.

I found this on Google search.

You can shut those proxy requests down with something like this:
# Restrict HTTP methods
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !^(GET¦HEAD¦OPTIONS¦POST)$
RewriteRule .* - [F]
# block proxy requests
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^(GET¦HEAD¦POST)\ /?http:// [NC]
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} !^(GET¦HEAD¦POST)\ /?RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} !^(GET¦HEAD¦POST)\ /?RewriteRule .* - [F]

substituting your hostname and IP address in there and escaping the periods with a preceding "\" as shown.

Rob

Rob Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back