Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VI HELP! Before I smash this turd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
Okay, I've been though Linux in college, had to use VI then, and I hated it with a passion! Even after I learned how to use it.

Forward to present day, I'm at work, there's a Linux machine hosting as our Firewall, I have to change one, ONE F*CKING IP! From .75 to .18. An I can't for the LIFE OF ME get VI to cooperate!

If I type something wrong, I don't know what was typed, because VI doesn't update the characters as I go along!
If I delete something that I wasn't supposed to, I don't know what was deleted because VI doesn't update the characters!
I cannot install any other text editor, BECAUSE ALL PORTS ARE SHUT DOWN FOR THE FIREWALL! SO I'm f*cking stuck using VI!

Through the constant use of words, I'm guessing you can tell my level of aggravation and frustration!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your time,
Scott

Well, I got lucky! He had NANO installed on the machine.

Made my change to the file, saved it, and exited.

Do I need to restart the firewall for the change to take place?!

Scott

Well you got it with Nano. I would have suggested try VIM instead, which is my go to editor. Remember that it is mode based and you need to select 'i' to get to insert mode and then escape out of it, followed with :wq to write and quit.

By the way, I understand your frustration, but I thought I might mention I've had posts even in the out of the public view disappear because of lesser language than you used in this one.

Glad you got the change completed. However, a few words for what its worth.

1. We all get crazy frustrated at times so write your original comments then don't post them for a while until you've read them a few times.
2. If you work only on one to a few linux systems then use another editor freely available. Find one you like and stick with it.
3. If you work with many servers, get used to VI (on all of mine VI points to VIM anyway) and learn the commands. Once you get used to it it CAN do what you want. Often times is not easy, but you can be assured VI will exist on virtually all distros.
4. Keep working with Linux (any flavor). And if you have root access to the server try installing Webmin to help you. This is a browser based system admin facility that does most/all of the editing for you.

Good luck. [thumbsup2]

Thanks! Yeah, I got to a point I could use it without any problems. But then I haven't been back to it in a bit. Studies + time + other work projects = wash away what you know.

I did get it, I've been using NANO and trying to figure out what else is going on.

I added what I needed to to the firewall, but I'm still having a problem. Might be unrelated to this one. Unless someone can tell me if I'm doing an oxy moron here.

1) Originally the line I wanted to modify was X.X.X.75 this Citrix VM running Server 2003 is now X.X.X.18. An needs port 6075 open to communicate w/ and sync db's, and was assigned for IP 75 which is now changed to 18.
2) Down the way on the list is the Server Range X.X.X.2-.40. I also opened port 6075 here as well.

Now is this going to cause a conflict having a specified IP thats already in a range, for a port, and having a port opened for the .3-.40 range?

Thanks if anyone can help, otherwise I suppose this is a question for another area on here.

Scott

That is a question for another forum.

But, it's only a port conflict if two or more processes are trying to open and listen to the same port at the same IP address. A socket is a combination of both IP and port number. Opening access to a port on a firewall does not "use" the port in any way, it just allows traffic to it.

But you didn't hear it here. Maybe go here if you have more questions...

I know, but I'm doing my happy dance! I added a line to the firewall conf file, restarted the Linux server, and it's working! My VM Server is Syncing with it's DB Authentication host! I'm checking to make sure the ILC is good to go, and seems all good thus far!

Thanks everyone!

Scott

Ahh!

Everything is working perfectly again! Everything's syncing as it should be, patrons are able to use the PC's like in the past. An now I've got to find out why my ".MAN" NTuser profile wasn't loading. But I just got that under wraps!

Thanks for the help all!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back