Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VI - Extended Descriptions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrain2442

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2007
US
Both our service provider's so-called "wizard" and I have had problems importing in Extended Descriptions into Mas 90 and having them stick. In the past, any new descriptions imported in showed up on the Inventory Maintenance Item List, but when accessing a particular part, the Ext Description window would pop-up with the former description.

Reading the PDF mannuals were of no help to me, though the SAGE knowledgebase did provide a "how to" document for version 4.15, however, I am not receiving the correct results. The VI log says it was successful, but I think there is an error in my set up. Two things:

For my .csv file, do I need to provide any further information other than column A (part number) and column B (full description)? **Again this is per the "how to" in the SAGE knowledgebase

Under Import Job Maintenance in VI, the Data tab opts Item #, Sequence #, Comment Size, and Comment Text. The comment size populates by the record perform logic
..\IM\IMWVIP;IM_ITEMEXT_JX
and I'm assuming the Sequence # is then generated from that.

NOTE: For those who are unfamiliar w/ this particular Ext Description Resolution, I can provide the steps via email if necessary...

Actually importing extended descriptions is pretty easy. There are two parts. First you have to import into the item master file and change the ExtDesc flag from N to Y. Next you do your import. The import has two record types, a header and detail. The header record has a sequence number of 000 and the number of total characters in the description. For example

widget001,000,125,,

The detail has the item number, sequence number and the text. Note the text is in 50 character blocks so the sequence number indicates which block is first, second, third and so on. For example.

widget001,001,,This is the description part.

Note that there is a blank space on the header where the description would be and a blank space on the detail where the character count would be.

In the details section of the import you indicate that the header is where the sequence number is 000 and it is detail where the sequence number is not 000

If you need more help on this you can contact me at bglouie@sbcglobal.net

works fine now, thanks for the all help BigLouie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back