Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VI 1.0 does not register all DLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLotis

Programmer
Dec 14, 1998
US
In the process of creating a standard desktop, my data folders on C: were copied to our LAN. as well as Program files\dev studio\my projects.

All the data from my C drive was moved to the LAN. Disk was cleared and Win98 was loaded. Later, I restored the data from the LAN to the folders. I restored my DATA to Program files\dev studio\my projects\Mydata and also to the webshare\ area.

Then I loaded the web software...
I installed from the Visual Interdev 1.0 CD the PWS, ASP and FP extensions. Then VI 1.0.
But there was a problem registering ASP. Three dlls were not registered. They were not named.

When previewing in VI 1.0, the browser still cannot handle .asp files.
I removed and reloaded asp and FP extensions and MS PWS rebooting when needed.

Visual interdev 1.0 still cannot read an .ASP file.
ASP was not completely registered.

Where do I go from here? Is it the personal Web server or ASP?

Where else can I find and load PWS and ASP???

harry.lotis@mms.gov

[sig][/sig]

Nick,

Thanks,
I have the task of restoring 15 web projects to a Win98 PC that were archived to the LAN. I need some feedback please. reassurance or a second opinion:
I was wondering about a methodology for restoring the data and then republishing each of the 15 unrelated webs.

1. I would restore the 15 web projects physical files to a work area like Program Files\Developers Studio\My Projects\xxx, etc. like HelpDesk98, HelpDesk99, HelpDesk2000.

2. I would then use VI to create a separate virtual web with the same name for each of the 15 projects in a folder on my C: drive within webwshare\
3. After creating the virtual root directory for each web project, I would add the html, asp code and jpgs to each web and republish each of them.

Is this the way to restore archived web projects to a new PC?

HarryO

If VI6 is anything like VB6, VC++6, and so on, it should be backward compatible with old VI1 projects, so you could possibly use the same task you planed, but using a &quot;smarter&quot; version of VI to help you along. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

The problem is that the newly installed PWS(version loaded from Win98 CD) does not read any .asp pages and does not recognize folders as web folders.

So, what methods do I use to Re-publish all my archived web projects to my my new PC?

Each step is very immportant to verify.

you may have to manually register the DLLs, but as for the webfolders, you can create a new project, with the names of the ones you had before, goto Add to project(I recomend cleaning out all VI related files in that folder) add all the files and folders highlighted for that project. Also PWS should be able to be configured, and I Recomend downloading the latest PWS(which I thought you had already done) this method had worked for me, I have never used VI to register ActiveX dlls for me(I prefer to do that from the server).

Also if this is an important project, I Would highly recomend considering getting an NT4 SP4(At least) server with IIS Server, rather than the unsupported, unsecure, buggy PWS. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Karl,
Since I am working on a Win98 PC to develop my ASP pages, I don't know about applying SP4 to the PC that PWS installed on it.
But your plan for rePublishing archived web seems like what i had in mind.

Thanks,
HarryO

you cant apply SP4 to PWs, since PWS is a Win9x server, SP4 goes on NT4. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back