Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VHDL bidirectional port questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

John5788

Technical User
Jun 16, 2008
US
I am trying to design the Lattice CPLD: LC4032v to kind of act as a buffer for now, and am having problems dealing with the bidirectional ports.

I programmed the ports to direct data one way or another based on a clock. Here is a sample of what I am doing:

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

entity OneToOne is
port (

-- Inputs
A0, A1: in std_logic;

-- Clocks
CLK0: in std_logic;

-- Outputs
B0, B1: out std_logic;

-- Bidirectional ports
A8, A9, B8, B9: inout std_logic);

end OneToOne;

architecture behavioral of OneToOne is
begin

B0 <= A0;
B1 <= A1;

process(CLK0)
begin

if(CLK0 = '0' AND CLK0'event) then
B8 <= A8;
B9 <= A9;

elsif(CLK0 = '1' AND CLK0'event) then
A8 <= B8;
A9 <= B9;

end if;

end process;

end behavioral;

However, when I test the waveform to see what it would do, the signals A8, A9, B8, B9 stay low and never accept values.

For example: CLK0 is 1, and B8 is 1, A8 remains 0 when it should be 1. Any help?

John5788,

This is a funny experiment, at least I hope it is because I cannot see the use of this code.

For one thing I think this will give you timing issues when you want to implement this in real. Certainly at higher frequencies.

What I think is the problem is that you have the four flip flops in one process. I think there might be an issue with when the new signal values are assigned (allways at the end of the process.

I would suggest using two processes one for the rising edge flip flops and one for the falling edge flip flops.

regards,

jeandelfrigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back