Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I want to make a cool little screensaver using assembly language and its VGA graphics mode....

i would like to make something like that microsoft butterlfly...

nothing too fancy, just allowing it to fly straight until it hits an edge of the screen, then just "bounce" off and fly straight ahead again...

and of course like a regular screensaver, it will exit the screensaver when i press a key..

can anyone give me some hints on how to start??

thanks in advance...

Buy a book on graphics programming. A rather oldish book on VGA programming preferable.

Most books will be on graphics programming in C, but you can probably hand-compile it yourself with some optimizations.

Learn how to use cmp.

Learn to figure out how to do delays.
"Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

For graphics you can search the internet for "Michael Abrashes Graphic Programming Black Book" Regards,
Bert Vingerhoets
vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com
Don't worry what people think about you. They're too busy wondering what you think about them.

It used to be on Doctor Dobb's Journal ( but it no longer appears to be there... 404 file not found... You COULD try maybe it's just temporary... "Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

It seems to have disappeared completely, yes.
I made it available again, you can find download instructions on my webpage. Regards,
Bert Vingerhoets
vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com
Don't worry what people think about you. They're too busy wondering what you think about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back