Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VGA/RGB Cabling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boytoy77

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
I'm completly wireing my home. (Network, remote computers, audio, video) I want to have a Multi-media computer tucked away into a closet. I have a RF keyboard and mouse, but I'm having problems figuring out how to get the monitor connected in the living room. In the future I will have a projector or Plasma display. How do I get the SVGA signal to my living room? Can I just get a LONG VGA cable and run it through the walls? Do I need to conver the signal? How far can I run said cabling?

Yes, you can run long lengths of VGA cable but your happiness with the quality of the image may be affected by losses in the signal. All cables, of course, attenuate signals and are frequency dependent. So higher resolution images coming, say, off a fast new video card, and then running through smaller size VGA coax cable may show signs of deterioration.

Typical VGA cables and other VGA 'extension' cables use very small guage coax, perhaps 28 to 32 guage. This makes a small diamter cable but the losses shown in an attenuation table are considerable.

Some large venue VGA (also, SVGA, XVGA, etc.) projectors are driven thru larger diameter coax, perhaps RG-59 type or RG-6 type. But this yields a bundle size approaching that of a garden hose.

Check the Belden cable web site for attenuation values for various coax guages (keeping in mind that Belden is a respected cable mfg., and your Radio Shack and CompUSA items are designed for low cost).

Yours
Mike

There is an option other than running vga cable.

You could get a CAT5 cable converter, and just run CAT5 from the computer to the monitor, TV whatever. The sender has a signal amplifier that will enable minimal signal degridation for up to 500 feet.

could you send me a pointer to cat-5 vga cable converters?
buzzkill@peden.ws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back