Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VGA Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyukie

Technical User
Jan 6, 2005
GB
I had just formatted my pc and it was screaming at me for drivers as usual. I tried installing the motherboard chipset drivers from the cd and all went ok I think, but the VGA Video Controller device still had a question mark next to it. Then I tried installing the nVidia drivers for my gainward geforce4 mx440 (which are also on the supplied cd), rebooted after and then as it went to boot windows (just after the boot up screen) it went black and stayed that way.
The only way I could find to resolve this was to enter safe mode, uninstall the nVidia drivers and reboot.
One thing I found is that a BIOS setting was set to something like PCI instead of AGP/VGA which I change, installed drivers and still got the same.
Looking at the driver details it says it's a PCI bus device, whereas it's AGP/VGA and I don't know how to change so it installs to that. Any idea?

Remove all cards except the video card and all drives except the boot HD, reformat and reinstall Windows, install the MB chipset drivers, and install the video card drivers.

If that works, then reinstall each card and drive one at a time so that Windows can recognize them and load their drivers individually.

You're welcome.
Glad to hear that you were able to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back