Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VG Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reff2828

Vendor
Oct 19, 2009
CA
I have a Cisco VG224 with some analog fax lines working off of it. Recently, fax machines are getting cut off and either recieving or sending only a few pages bfore transmission is lost. This was only happening on 4 of the 24 ports. Any thoughts??

We've had ports go bad on a VG224 and 24FXS on a CMM. From what I can remember, they had problems where the faxes couldn't dial or receive calls. If you can move the fax to a different port and it works fine, then it sounds like a bad port.

In those cases, we did an RMA with Cisco since they were under contract. So far the failures have just been at the port level and we haven't lost all ports on a single device yet.

We had the same issue. We had to turn off caller id on the ports and they have worked fine since.

Steve

Steve

Groundratt, Thanks for your input. How would caller ID affect or cut off a fax in mid transmission.

I have no idea... I read others on one of the Cisco message boards had similar problems with modems on their fire alarms/security systems and they turned off caller id and it fixed the problem. I do know we had a problem with older fax machines and just had to replace them. Also on our xerox machines we had to change the baud rate to a lower rate and turn off sg3. Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for the info, we have made a change on the one port and the customer is monitoring. Will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back