Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP6 runtime exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

elias2212

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
I have built a project and want to build an exe to run from a work station without Foxpro installed. The application runs as desired when build is APP. The EXE build completes with no errors but when executed it flashes my initial form and then quits. I have included the following two files VFP6R.DLL and VFP6RENU.DLL as recommended in a previous thread. That thread also advised using READ EVENTS. I have experimented with inserting in various places and with READ EVENTS the exe just hangs. I suspect that I am using READ EVENTS incorrectly. But, nevertheless, I can use some help.... Thanks

elias2212

If your main program calls for a menu use it there:
do menu myMenu.MPR
READ EVENTS
Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

Thanks, but I don't have a menu. My main program just calls the first screen which has navigation buttons to other options of the application.

Is it still needing a READ EVENTS and where do I put it?

You still need a READ EVENTS somewhere in order to have VFP stop and process the events. At the very least, create a program named MAIN.PRG which contains one line of code:

READ EVENTS

Then set it as your main procedure/entry point.
Dave S.

elias2212

Same:
DO FORM myMainForm.scx
READ EVENTS
Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

I'm not sure that in practise you do not need to use read events, I mostly use modal forms and no read events at all... I don't know why, but when I started migrating from Clipper I must have missed that bit!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hej !
I think, Mike is right. When in my main prg wasn't 'read events' after do form - my application behaved strange: closed itself. Kind regards from Warsaw !!!!!
Monika (monikai@yahoo.com)

elias2212

In your situation you need READ EVENTS as suggested earlier in this thread.

However, you can run background single form applications which might support your main application, such as file copy routines, etc without READ EVENTS or a main.prg.

To do that you would call a form method from the .Activate() event of the form.

When the code in the method has been executed, the form will close and the application will automatically terminate.
FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Thanks to all who responded. I have followed MGAGNON's suggestion and the running of the exe was successful. However, I ran the exe on the same system that has VFP installed. Tomorrow I will try it on a network machine that does not have VFP installed. If it works, great. If not, I will be back.

Thanks again,
elias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back