Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP6 and Windows Server 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzatuadi

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
RO
I have a very strange situation. I have an accounting software written in VFP6 that uses RPC (automation manager). My client has 2 firms and also 2 databases, located in different folders. Whenever an user enter in application, i create with createobject() an relation with server to an object s_adi. With that object i call various functions/procedures that in 90% it's and sql statement that creates an table. That table then it's been accessed by every station.
What is the problem?
Based on what i said on first firm everything is fine, on the second one not. On both firms, that table is created on server, but the station (all of them) cannot "see" the file. The same table on first firm all the stations can read it. But on the second firm something isn't right.
Every right or sharing includes "everyone" user and full access on the whole folder of my application.
Every station has Windows 7 Home Premium. The server is an DELL with Windows Server 2012 and an active directory.
This week has expired license for Remote Desktop (those 120 days) and now it's a big problem. Those licences aren't cheap and the client looked at me to do something. The same client had and computer with Windows 7 Home as a server and everything worked fine.

Thanks for any advice.
Adrian

The "everyone" user is every local account, not network accounts.
So create a user groups "yourappusers" and add all domain users needing rights, then give read/write access to that user group. Don't work with "everyone".

Bye, Olaf.

Not clear on what you're asking, but if you're saying you've been running the app using remote desktop and those RDP licenses have expired, you are either going to have buy licenses or figure out how to make the server files accessible either using a VPN or LAN connection.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Are you suffering from the most frustrating feature in modern Windows - the virtual store? On the server under the username that can see the table, have a look in %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore and see if there is a user specific copy of the folder that you think you are writing to. eg. C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\FFC has copies of _base.vcx and _base.vct as I've compiled something that referenced them in the project file. If they ever got updated by a service pack, I wouldn't see it as my user account has it's own personal copy of them.

You can simply move them back to the real folder with Windows Explorer and it should work.

Rob Spencer
Caliptor Pty Ltd

Hi,

The databases are located in a specific folder and different partition than the partition with windows. All the temporary files are redirected into and temporary folder that is located in application's folder.
I think is there something about virtualization or station rights or user rights, but i will talk with system administrator.
I'll recognize that is a problem with application's coding if it doesn't work at all, but it work on a database, but on another doesn't work.
Maybe there is a setting in Active Directory, really don't know. Thanks for your advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back