Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP3 EXE and Windows XP c0000005 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc509

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
Our company is using an order processing application that is written in VFP3. We have replaced our PCs over the last few months to new P4 systems running Windows XP.

A week ago, (Friday) one of the computers refused to run the application. After entering the user id and password, an error message displays "Microsoft Visual FoxPro for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

When I click on the 'click here' to read more:

AppName: vfp300.esl AppVer. 3.0.0.711 ModName vfp300.esl ModVer: 3.0.0.711 Offset: 00104448

For technical info 'click here' shows:
Exception information Code: 0xc0000005

I have deleted the foxuser.* files and uninstalled and reinstalled the workstation. I deleted the vfp300.esl file manually to be sure it was reinstalled.

I even reinstalled Windows XP, install SP1, and even SP2!

On Tuesday, another XP PC that has been working fine for 4 months started this also. Everything else works fine on these machines. . . just not the VFP3 app! We have 3 other XP machines that are still running the VFP app just fine. (and hoping they continue to)

I have not updated anything on these machines recently, but they may have received an automatic update of some sort!? (ie. Windows update)

I do plan to upgrade to the newer version is this app before the end of the year, but I wanted some time to purchase and setup a new server first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - David

That error is usually caused by a trashed index file.
Delete and recreate all of your indexes from scratch (don't just issue a REINDEX), and maybe even check your tables for corrupted or bogus data.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Thanks for reply!

I finally discovered it was printer related. One computer had all of its printers shared - even the network printers.

When I deleted the shared printers out of the two computers that wouldn't run MOM the problem was solved.

Weird.

Thanks again
David

Any experienced fox-developer who could declare why the printers should cause the C000005 error?
-Bart

I had the same problem.
If more than 21 (sometimes 22 or 23) printers where installed, Dr. Watson appeared in NT when
Aprinters() was issued.

deleting some printers solved it.

in VFP 6.0 + this error did not occur.

Bart,
In Windows, most all the printing goes through the current printer's printer driver. This is just another piece of code, usually supplied by the printer manufacturer, that provides the translation of the Windows printer request to the actual printer's hardware/firmware requirements. As a program it can be wrong or not handle all the possible data inputs, just like a VFP app. One problem is that over the years there have been at least three separate Windows printer driver models, each for different (newer) OSs. While they are supposed to be backward compatible, it's not always the case that this works perfectly. Finally, because a printer driver is treated as an extension of the OS, it can cause much more trouble when it goes bad than a normal application.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back