Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP ODBC missing one file

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshaP

Programmer
May 4, 2001
US
I have four .dbf files that I set up an ODBC for, using the VPF driver. When I selected the path in the ODBC setup, it showed me all four files. However, when I try to use it in Crystal Reports or Access, it only shows three.

I am able to open the fourth file in Excel, so I don't think it is corrupted.

What else could it be?

There are a couple of issues that could be causing this.

First, you have to distinguish between "free" tables and "database" tables. They are both DBFs, but a free table is a DBF that stands alone, where as a database table is one that can only exist as part of a database "container", which is a DBC file.

The point is that the VFP ODBC driver treats these different types of tables differently. You can see there's a "database type" option in the ODBC setup dialogue. You have to make sure you choose the correct setting, and in general you can't mix the two different types in the same DSN.

Secondly, check which version of VFP was used to create the tables. The VFP ODBC driver hasn't been updated since VFP was at version 6, which was three major releases ago. If the DBFs use any features introduced in recent versions, the driver won't be able to access the files.

The general advice for people wanting to access VFP data is to use the OLE DB provider rather than the ODBC driver.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back