Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilys

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
US

Hi, Which library is used in VFP to run any aplication??

Like foxw2600.esl in FoxPro 2.6 for windows.

Please Help me I need to run an important aplication.

Regards!!

vfp7r.dll (may need to be registered using regsvr32)

VFP7RENU.dll

msvcr70.dll (optional depending on features implemented being dependent on it)

all of these files should go into the system32 directory or into the same folder as your application. I suggest and prefer the former to the latter.

Slighthaze = NULL

SlightHaze

msvcr70.dll (optional depending on features implemented being dependent on it)

Are you sure about "optional"?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

You know what this forum needs in addition to the Stars is a Dunce Cap or some way of taking a star from someone...like me, don't know where I got that in my head (thought I had read it somewhere but obviously it was something about one of the other msvc dll files. Who knows, but thank you to Mike and Rick for avoiding any confusion I may have caused for lilys.

Slighthaze = NULL

I have finally come across where I got the idea that msvcr70.dll is not required sometimes:

See the VFP Helpfile under BUILD EXE command

"...An executable file created with BUILD EXE requires two support files: Vfp7r.dll and Vfp7renu.dll (enu denotes the English version)...."

There is no mention of the msvcr70.dll...given what that dll contains I would think that it is required at all times now, but why does the help file make no mention of it when talking about what is needed to run a VFP exe?

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Slighthaze,

As far as I know, the requirement to include msvcr70.dll only applies to VFP 7.0 and later. At least, I don't remember seeing it in earlier versions.

In 8.0, I think you still need it, but you don't need to explicitly include it in the InstallShield merge module list.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

MikeLewis,

Yeah, it just seems really strange that the VFP 7 helpfile makes no mention of this very needed dll in it's section regarding building an Exe. I'm just lucky that I have always included it just to be safe. As you can see from my ealier post in this thread I was under the impression that it was optional depending on what kind of code your application actually executed. The line in the helpfile should say that it requires 3 support files at the very least...and they should also be much more clear on the files needed if you are going to distribute HTML Help with your application to...I guess if a newbie does enough digging on the MSDN and with Google they can figure it out, but why does MS make it so hard?

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Slighthaze,

but why does MS make it so hard?

Maybe because they assumed that MSVCRT.DLL / MSVCR70.DLL is installed along with Windows OS

-- AirCon --

I have a fresh SP'ed win2k no application installs and found msvcrt.dll but no msvcr70.dll I always had the impression by the name "MicroSoft Visual C Runtime" and "C Runtime ver 7.0" like, Slighthaze thought I only needed to include when distributing w/ocx's and other libs that required C Runtimes. However like Mike I have always included it for good measure.

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back