Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP intellisense and windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielap

Technical User
Aug 2, 2003
GB
Trying to use VFP 7 under Windows 7 to update an app. Problems!
VFP doesn't load intellisense any more so many of my shortcuts just don't work
a RUN command (specifically RUN "EXAMDIFF.EXE") just generates an error

Both are fine on my XP notebooks.
Is there a solution please?

I'm sure Tamar is right.

Look into C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9\ and I'm sure you'll find foxcode.cdx.
This index is created there as the first time usage of intellisense indexes C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9\foxcode.dbf

And while this mechanism of transparent redirection should work, is if C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9\foxcode.cdx was created and read access to this file should also be redirected to reading C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9\foxcode.cdx VFP doesn't see the CDX. Not to talk about multiple users each having their own VirtualStore folder.

My solution: Deinstall, install into C:\Users\Public\VFP9. No problems with Intellisense and any other Feature of VFP written in VFP using VFP data/indexes etc.

Bye, Olaf.

Well, VFP7 of course into C:\Users\Public\VFP7

And yes, you lose the write protection of the VFP7.exe. An EXE outside of program files or the Windows directory or some other protected directory is more vulnerable for virus infections. You may fix that by modifying security of the VFP7.exe file itself. Only allow read/execute.

Bye, Olaf.

thanks - Doug Hennings paper now downloaded (34 pages will take a bit of time to read)
meanwhile I'll try playing with the Foxcode table, tried re-installing already.

But I've found another problem now - trace doesn't work!

I'm not too bothered by security on this. I'm the only Foxpro developer here and work from home. The users of my apps only get their application EXEs and VFOX runtime files (and have good security too - they are hospital departments)

I'm not too bothered by security on this.

It doesn't matter what you think. WINDOWS cares about it and is taking actions here and it runs the show!

Doug's white paper spells out a lot of the issues, but you really need to read up on it. Windows Vista/7/8.x/10 really do change the game in ways you need to know.

I'm not too bothered by security on this.

Well, what dan said about this is true. If you're not so much concerned about infections of VFP9.exe (and I'm too, customers run a variety of applications stored outside Program Files for decades without problems) , then the simple solution is deinstalling and reinstalling into C:\Users\Public\VFP7, not fiddling with the foxcode.dbf

Bye, Olaf.

Intellisense problem now solved. I changed the Foxuser file on the Win 7 machine to one from one of my XP machines - and the shortcuts are back.

Many thanks to everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back