Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP compatible with Terminal Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2002
US
Does anyone out there know whether or not Visual FoxPro is compatible with Terminal Server? I have read on Microsoft's website that it has not been tested and is not guaranteed, but it didn't sound like it was totally uncompatible.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Eubanks

Yes it is. We dial into our clients machines and log in to our inventory warehouse system via TS. No probs as of yet

Okay, so are you talking about the run-time version of your system, or the full version. I have not had any problems yet with the run-time. It was the full version that I was having problems with. When I first had my shortcut to the full version, the Target in the shortcut was: "F:\VFP\vfp7.exe start2.fxp". That worked when I was in the Home office. Now I am getting in through TS from another city, and that same target wouldn't work at all. Then, when it would bring up just a blank foxpro screen, so I would map out to it by saying "set defa to ?" and the place it would default to was a whole different folder on the network (and the "start in" was F:\VFP, which is correct). When I did map back to the correct area, it would work, but the command box was giving all these strange errors. Now I seem to have found a way around it, by creating a shortcut directly to start2.fxp, and all the functions of the command box seem to be working properly. Any thoughts about this problem?

A couple other questions for you, Redsz:

1. What versions of FoxPro and TS are you running?
2. How long have you been using FoxPro thru TS?

Thanks!

Eubanks

I'll answer some of that too

1. What versions of FoxPro and TS are you running?

VFP6.0 As development (since VFP7.0 itself will not install on a TS, but runtime VFP7.0 applications will install on a TS)

2. How long have you been using FoxPro thru TS?

5 years. From VFP5.0

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

Well, we installed VFP7.0 onto our TS computer in the home office. Is this what you are saying is not supported by TS? But the run-time is?

Eubanks

Well, we installed VFP7.0 onto our TS computer in the home office. Is this what you are saying is not supported by TS?

NT4 Terminal Server. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

Does anyone know how VFP 7 and TS running Win 2000 will get along? Would there be any multiple user issues?

We are about to roll out such a server and it seems to work, but we won't know of any real-world issues until it gets 'racked' in a week or so.

Is there anything pre-emptive we could do to avoid problems?

Thanks,

Brian

baltman

Does anyone know how VFP 7 and TS running Win 2000 will get along? Would there be any multiple user issues?

Are you refering to runtime or design time? In either case they get along fine. Although you might still get an issue on two developers devoloping the same app, but that is not new.But runtime, we have 20 users on one and no problem.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Run time no problems. A couple of hints, you can get really bogged down with screen refreshes if your application does a lot of that. I recomend using lockscreen = .t. before somthing that will update many fields on the screen and then lockscreen = .f. when it is done. That cuts down the screen refreshes a lot.

You will have the usual sharing issues. What I do is create a directoy for each user at startup (using sys(3)) and place all their temporary files, tables etc. in that directory. I kill the directory on exit.

Development, we have a number of developers using terminal server. I is generally no problem, except for the usual multi developer issues in VFP.

We'll be using both run & design time components. I'll make sure my apps make appropriate use of lockscreen.

Glad to hear everything should work OK.

Thanks!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back