Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP AND WEBSITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronald777

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2003
NL
I am beginning to start with vfp on internet, but i m wondering which web development tool is the best choice/direction: web connection, ASP , FOXISAPI, web services etc.?

And hosting a webserver. By yourself or by an isp?

Can someone here give me some general hints (maybe your own experiences) ?

Roanld,

You'll have to give us a lot more information about what your app is trying to achieve, and also what tools you feel most comfortable using.

My own preferred approach is to write the app as a VFP COM server, and to call it from ASP, but your situation might be different.

Foxisapi is also a good too, although it is quite old now, and no longer supported.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Hi Mike,

I understand from u, there is no 'best' web development tool for vfp programmers like me. I like to do everything in vfp as possible.

Foxisapi is too old, i see...

Anyway, i want something like amazon has, for a small business. A site where customers:
- see recommendations (for known customers)
- lookup special info about the status of their order
- lookup general info about products

ronald777

I like to do everything in vfp as possible.

No, that is not possible, since web pages are in formats acceptable to a web browser (ie HTML, asp ect). But you can use VFP as a "back-end" to your web application. Web connection from West-wind has some good arcticles on the subject ( Rick also wrote a book on the subject "Internet Applications with Visual FoxPro 6.0"

There is also Active-FoxPro-Pages

The best tool for this would be the one your are more confortable with.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Ronald,

Anyway, i want something like amazon has, for a small business.

If you are planning to write this yourelf, be prepared for a lot of learning time.

You might be better buying an off-the-shelf e-commerce package, which you can customise for your particular needs.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

There is also Active-FoxPro-Pages

Thank u Mike, i didnt know from active foxpro pages before

The best tool for this would be the one your are more confortable with.

I understand u Mike, but before i know if a tool is comfortable i have to work with it and dig it, and my question is, which tool is the best to begin digging.

If you are planning to write this yourelf, be prepared for a lot of learning time.

You might be better buying an off-the-shelf e-commerce package, which you can customise for your particular needs.

Mike,

these standard commercial packages are the reason, i started programming :)

But thanks, i will consider it.

Ronald777

I have only dabbled in web-applications. I found that Rick Stralh's (web-connection) documentation to be very concise and complete. AFP I have never tried. Both offer a demo version. Download them both and start digging.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Ronald,

What exactly is your aim here? If you main concern is to learn how to do web development, then you should explore all the options that we have suggested.

But if your aim is to develop an e-commerce site for your business, you will be much better of buying something off the shelf, at least as a first step. You can be up and running in a matter of days, rather than the weeks or months that it might take to do it yourself.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

What exactly is your aim here? If you main concern is to learn how to do web development, then you should explore all the options that we have suggested.

exactly Mike, i start digging

of course Mike, i keep u informed

thx Mike and Mike

foxpro rules!

Hi Mike

I am also investigating this type of application, you mention compiling as a Com server & calling it with ASP.

Will this work on a machine that is clean (no VFP runtime files)

Richard

Richard,

Will this work on a machine that is clean (no VFP runtime files)

No. You need the runtime files in order to execute any VFP code, whether it's a COM component or a traditional EXE.

In the case of a COM component called from a web page, the runtimes would need to be on the web server. They aren't needed by the end user.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Reliability of VFP ver. 8 Database
I have accounting program and used VFP ver. 6 to do it. I am now transfering it to VFP ver. 8. My question is: Is the effort worthwhile? What are the benefits I will get? Many people claim VFP ver. 6 database is kind of weak, unreliable. Loss of index in may tables is frequent due to power brownouts and blackouts. Is VFP ver. 8 much better in this respect? I know programmer's tools are much better but the big qiestion is the improvement, if any, in the reliability of the database. Can someone help me with this questions? Replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CARLOS (PROGRAMMER)

Carlos,

I strongly recommend you start a new thread for your question, as the thread you have posted to is for a different topic and is quite old.

To start a new thread, just go to the main page for the forum, scroll to the bottom, and type your question in the large edit box.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back