Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 8.0 vs. 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenlon

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
US
Are there enough reasons to justify moving from Visual FoxPro 6.0 to 8.0? I haven't done any research yet, my boss just asked me if upgrading would help me out enough to be worth it. I am just learning foxpro, so I'm not engrossed in the ways 6.0 works or anything like that, so switching over would not be a major problem for me, just want to hear what you all (the experts) think about 8.0 compared to 6.0. Thanks all for your time.

The advantage of the 7/8 Intellisense alone is worth the upgrade - especially while learning the syntax of the xBase commands (after ~20 years of these variants, I'm beginning to get the "hang" of it! :)). The Document View, Code references, Object Browser and the improvements in the Debugger, also make it a great productivity enhancer.

Rick

Personnally, I consider the stability offered by the TRY...CATCH construction to be enough of a benefit to upgrade, however, I've heard too many problems with VFP 8 so far that I'm waiting for a service pack before updating: the problems basically made an actual retail release of a VFP8 produce program not-feasible.

I don't remember the specific bugs that I was most worried about (there was one in the implementation of a new feature that I had very much looked forward to using, and one new bug in an old feature that we used extensively), However, here is a reference I should have copied them to when I saw them mentioned on Tek-Tips:

shenlon (Programmer)
I agree with rgb, not for intellisene but for the other advantages that he resumed.
Regards

As I go deeper the road seems to go further. We're just simply pasangers on the road of knowledge.

This documents another issue: thread184-596026

I agree with Rick that the intellisense does make learning VFP (for those new, or old... just trying to remember the proper command phrases) MUCH easier.

wgcs,
The interesting thing about your Wiki link, is that there seem to be as many "undocumented" problems with 6 & 7 as 8! I guess that it really means that no matter the version you use, it's going to have problems for someone - you just need to decide if they are "show stoppers" for your apps - especially if there isn't a simple workaround. I'm actually using 8.0 for development, but I'm still supporting 6.0 and 7.0 apps. As long as you don't use any new features, it's just a simple recompile in the appropriate version, and I get the advantages of the improved developer environment for productivity.

Rick

Hi,

I stepped into vfp8 coming from 6 and I'm very happy with new grid-properties. Especially autofit!.
Also the two-way possibilities of creting views are a big advantage (to me..).
Also the possibility to make your program look some more fancy by the ability to use pic's in the grid headers is a big advantage.
A disadvantage: sql-commands must be changed sometimes unless you give your start.prg a command that makes vfp8 to treat your sql-commands as if you are living in vfp 7 or 6 . (Sorry the required 'set xxx' slipped from my mind).
Another thing, some more difficult to start with, is the installshield. But go through this forum and you find lots of info about that too.

-Bart

Any other opinions??? Thanks everyone for your input.

Hi Rick,

VFP6 does have many issues... I wish I remembered the specific issue with VFP8 that made me worry: It somehow dealt specifically with one of the new features I wanted to use ( I don't know if it was TRY...CATCH or one of the other features ) and made the feature seem completely disfunctional....

It seems that many people are actually using VFP8 in production and are happy with it: I'm following this thread intently, and it's making me lean toward switching very soon....

One more reason that no one has mentioned...Microsoft will discontinue support for VFP 6.0 this year.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Craig,
Always the practical one! :) For more on support (or discontinuation for those with a negative perspective) for developer tools, see "[ln];LifeDevToolFam" - Note: In case TT doesn't create a clickable link, just copy everything between the quotes.

Rick

Let's not forget ACTIVATE WINDOW PUZZLE

That's my favorite new/old feature <g>

Hey rgbean, you need to check out tinyurl - awesome for posting links like that:

I would not hesitate to change from 6 to 7 for just a minute. But from 7 to 8 what You get is even better. I have 6, 7 and 8 running on one machine like a charm. Try...catch...finally, collections, event binding!!!!!, the grid becomes usable, EMPTY class, addproperty() (from outside), Intellisense (get my CEEClone at universalthread.com when You're used to work with CEE under 6), scatter name enhancements, themes support .......

After a short time with VFP8 I felt uncomfortable using 7 again and I am feeling truly handicaped when I have to do something under 6.

Besides all these gains: For the past 10 years I always hear &quot;Foxpro will die&quot;. If it ever does, one of the reasons is sticking with old versions too long.

BTW. VFP 9 will have some nice featues <g>

HTH

Are there any differences in the licenses between the old and new versions? (From what I gather in thread thread184-553854 if you try to run VFP 6 on a LINUX/wine computer then you have to keep a full VFP license on hand for each workstation, not that many are running VFP on Linux...yet. Would versions 7 or 8 be different?)

What about installation? Are newer M$ programs requiring online activation like Windows XP? That would sure be an added pain!

Does VFP 8.0 (both development environment and compiled runtimes) run on all the OS's back to Win95?

Hi all

Thought I would jump in here and ask the VFP7/8 users if that version has the capabilities of copying and pasting from a word document into a report (FRX)? I know it cant be done in VFP6

Here's hoping!!
KB

When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do

dbMark,
VFP 8.0, like all new MS products, is only supported for installation on Win 2000 SP2+ and XP. The VFP 8.0 runtimes are supported on all but Win 95 and NT. There is no &quot;activation&quot; - just a bit tighter worded EULA - especially the &quot;upgrade&quot; restrictions.

Note: There is no problem with installing a valid licensed copy of VFP Development on Linux / wine, only in distributing the runtimes to a non-windows OS (at least that's the way I understand the current &quot;legal&quot; discussion.)

Rick

About Linux , from EULA:
&quot; You also agree not to permit further distribution of the Redistributables by your end users except you may permit further redistribution of the Redistributables by your distributors to your end-user customers if your distributors only distribute the Redistributables in conjunction with, and as part of, the Licensee Software, you comply with all other terms of this EULA, and your distributors comply with all restrictions of this EULA that are applicable to you.&quot;

So, if I specifiy in my EULA the same thing about &quot;agree that redistributables only operates in conjunction with Windows platforms&quot; and my end user install my application under Linux, this mean that MSFT will sue me because I don't sue the end user? (it is possible that I don't know he installed the application under other platform). I need to hire detectives to watch what my clients do? :)

badukist (Programmer)
No. You could do something else like making an EULA of your own where you tell them that your app is restricted to run only on Windows platform. That's what I did. So my obligation stops there.
Regards

As I go deeper the road seems to go further. We're just simply pasangers on the road of knowledge.

We are just about to upgrade from v6 to v8, but from what I've read so far I need to be cautious!

Basically, with the SQL engine being much stricter in v8 and the testing time for our application being rather limited at the best (for a full run through), I guess I would just issue the:

SET ENGINEBEHAVIOUR 70

...command to get around that and recompile/build etc in v8.

BUT, does that mean you would then end up with the huge CDX files that seem to be the problem (if I understand it correctly) with v7 thread184-588331 or was that fixed?

TIA
Neil

&quot;I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...&quot;

That's been fixed and has nothing to do with SET ENGINE BEHAVIOR.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back