Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 7 DBF and FP 2.6 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

4notrump

Programmer
Mar 24, 2001
CA
Hi:

I can read/write tables created in FP 2.6 or Clipper but how can I create and maintain VFP 7 dbf free tables that can be read and written by those older programs?

It is probably a switch or flag somewhere but I can't find it.

TQ
Wayne

As long as you don't have indexes on the tables, you can create them in VFP, and COPY TO newfile TYPE FOX2X. Rumor has it you can use an ODBC driver for Clipper to utilize VFP files with indexes, but I am not sure.

Dave S.

As Dave suggests, you can't directly create 2.x compatible tables in VFP, but once you've created a VFP free table, you can convert it to the 2.x format by using the COPY TO ... TYPE FOX2X command. You CAN also convert the index(s) using the [[WITH] CDX] or [[WITH] PRODUCTION] option.

Note: As long as you don't use the ALTER table command in VFP it will work with the 2.x tables with no problems. VFP like FPW, will set / require you to set the internal code page unless you always set CPDIALOG=OFF, but FPD programs will ignore this setting.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back