Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 7.0 -vs- SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddWW

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
I am currently using a VFP 3.0 database. I am connecting to the database from an IIS web server as well as using other clients within the network to perform other tasks on the database using the VFP application. We are looking to upgrade the database and was wondering if anyone could give me a brief rundown on VFP 7.0 -vs- SQL 2000. My challenge is that I have been using VFP since it was created and I love the application side of it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ToddWW

even if yoy use sql server you will still need a front end and Foxpro works nicely. If it aint broke don't fix it,

The big thing you'll have to do is change your program so that it accesses all the data via views rather than directly. This will allow you to access the SQL data just as though it's a VFP database (with a few problems due to differences in how SQL Server and VFP treat some data types). I'd probably be easiest to first convert your program to local views using your existing program and database and when you have that working well, use the upsizing wizard to convert the VFP database to an SQL databse, convert the local views to remote views and workout any bugs which are created. Needless to say, you should do all this on a duplicate of your live program and database both for practice in the techniques and to prevent downtime when the actual conversion occurs. Dave Dardinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back