Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VERY unhappy with ArcServ 2000 need help with SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutumnLord

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2002
US
I recieved this product about a month ago after recomending it for purchase. I had used this product some time ago at a different company. ALOT has changed. After reading the inclosed setup manuals and administrators guide found on the CD I have yet to be able to backup my SQL server. I installed the client software for SQL and did the appropriate licensing and still cannot make it work. Then I try to install the most current patch 4, from the CA web site, nothing. After exhausting all avenues ont the tech support site, I call tech support and find out that there is a charge for theyre services. This just keeps getting worse, first of the price of the software itself was significant then they wont stand behind the product by discouraging you from contacting tech support by charging you for that service. I will NEVER recommend this product, and have had to appologize repeatedly to my supervisor for it not working correctly now. I have contacted the email version of support but got a limited response at best. Im hopping one of you can help before I scrap this software project and go with another vendor. I am trying to avoid a several thousand dollar mistake, but I need for the software to perform as promised. Now that I have vented, my problem. I keep recieving an error message which states "E8542 Failed to recieve data from the SQL Server database agent. (EC=10060)" I have insured that the software has SA level administrator rights and still no avail. Any help.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

1: Uninstall the SQL Agent

2: Install the SQL Agent using Name Pipes
and not TCP/IP.

3: Make sure that you apply SP4 to both the ARCserve server and the SQL server (if you are doing remote SQL backups).

Let us know how you are doing and we will help you.

thanks

Wanted to leave an update... I was contacted by a representive of CA just moments ago that was very helpful and considerate. He also is hooking me up with a technician that can help me with my problems. Finally a bright spot in my opinion of ArcServe. Thank you James for you help. And I want to thank those of you that contributed as well.

What version of SQL are you trying to backup? Arcserve 2000 does have some compatibility issues with anything prior to version 7.

-DebiJo

I had this same problem and it seems like it was the size of the Transaction Logs. Once I ran a shrink process on them and droped them from 2-3 gig in size to 500 megs in size the problem seem to go away. I'm not sure why it the agent has problems with logs of great size as I believe it should work regardless of the size. -=MaYHeM=-
-=IS MGR=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back