Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very slow transfers from windows 10 to NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flinx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
US
I have Windows 10 21H2 (updated about 1 week ago). Problem existed before updating to this version.
1 or 2 gig mp4 file transfers at gigbit speeds from windows to either of my NAS boxes.
If I select a large number of jpg's network speed may go from 2 MB/s then pauses, drops to 1.34 MB/s (or something like that) then pauses, then may jump back up to 2.5 MB/s then drops to 0, then goes up to 500 Kb/s and so on time remaining for 200 files at 920 MB says 21 minutes.

Sometimes it will start out pretty fast like 22 Mb/s then quickly drops to nothing or may jump up to 35 MB/s or even 70 MB/s then drops to 1.81 MB/s. Sometimes it sits for a minute reading 0kbs.

originally I thought this was a problem with the settings on the NAS boxes, but after posting on forums for those devices (and getting nowhere) I recently pulled out one of my old laptops with windows 7 on it. hooked it up to a wired gigabit connection and disabled wireless. I then transferred a pile of jpeg files from it to the NAS and the speed was the same as for transferring mp4 files. so the issue seems to be with windows 10.

also transferring files over 2.4ghz WIFI with CX file explorer (from my phone) is WAY faster, fast enough that I stopped using USB to connect to the computer as windows would slow the process down to a crawl.

Things I have tried:
every forum on the internets recommendation for changing settings on my network card (nothing makes a difference).
various versions of smb, and NFS.
every suggestion to change settings on the NAS boxes.
so many things I cannot begin to list them here so don't be surprised if you offer a suggestion and I say "tried that didn't work".

I worked in IT for 22 years and had to copy and move files all over the place on peoples networks and while small files do copy slower. I have never seen copying this slow, also it only occurs copying to my NAS boxes, not to a USB drive, not to another network computer, and not when copying from my NAS boxes. Heck copying to an old SD card is faster.

I just tried it with my wifes laptop wired connection (100Mbps) and windows 10 it was slow but not near as slow as my computer.

specs of my computer:
HP HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation
3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i9-9900K
1.00 Terabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
16 Gigabytes Installed Memory
Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM gigbit

cat6 cables all the way to my gigabit switch.
cat6 cables to the NAS boxes.
everything says it is running at 1Gbps and tests at that speed.

I recently moved. the issue existed at the old house. when I moved I installed ALL new network cabling, switches, routers, and firewall at the new house.

My computer transfers files at gigbabit speeds EXCEPT for JPG's and other small files. though JPG's seem to transfer slow no matter how enormous they might be. creating files on the NAS's is slow from windows 10 as well. saving text files takes many seconds regardless of size. yet editing MP4 files on the NAS is quick.

I can think of a couple of things. 1) Your AV may be scanning all the files are they are being moved. 2) There may be more traffic on your network that you're not aware of.

1) Try turning off your AV before you start the transfer and see if that speeds things up
2) You can watch some your traffic in your Task Manager under Performance in the Ethernet window. Or you can download a traffic monitor of some kind.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Thank you, I have tried disabling my AV and excluding network folders and drives. Did not make a difference.

Tried monitoring network performance. nothing unusual.

Look up SMB signing issues.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

I have looked at SMB and server signing settings multiple times over the last 1.5 years. I would need something more specific.

I made some possible progress, though more testing needs to be done.

I have a qnap and a synology NAS. The qnap had a bunch of thumbs.db's that seem to have been inaccessible. I had to use the qnap file manager to find and delete them. but windows was not creating new thumbs. I found info on re-enabling that. This speeded up viewing thumbnails dramatically copying might have improved a tiny bit (there were less speed drops to 0).

I also disabled all the settings I could find for quick access. this seemed to also help a tiny bit.

I noticed that some file operations in the cmd prompt on the NAS are near instant. MD is one. but renaming a file or folder takes 6 seconds. while on the local computer it is instant.

in the GUI file explorer things like renaming a file take 6 seconds to complete. local machine is also instant.

doesn't seem like a lot till you have a bunch of them to do.

Try Teracopy (i've used it for years). That will tell you if it's the windows file system copy, or your computer/network speed that is the issue.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I've tried third party copy programs and the results are the same.

another update.
woke up this morning, went to access my qnap and red X's on the drives. WTF?

go in to qnap (synology was fine) and it lost it's connection to the domain.

go in to my DC and it shows last contact was 9-13-2022.

rejoin the qnap to the domain and re-add users to the shares, and then have to remap drives.

now I can copy jpgs at a higher speed (still in the kbps range though) with no drops to zero and renaming files takes only 3 seconds (same speed as synology). :confused:

don't know why the qnap does this, but it has spontaneously lost the connection before. qnap support is atrocious (if you are not under warranty). when the HD connector riser/card in my qnap died a few years ago qnap refused to sell me a replacement. luckily I found someone who parted one out on ebay. I plan on replacing this qnap with another synology soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back