Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Slow SubQuery

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfrontiers

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
US
Hello. I have been trying, unsuccessfully for 2 days now, to improve the performance of the following query:

SELECT C.No, C.BusName, C.SecBusName, C.City, C.State , C.ProspectSt , C.Sales , C.EmpTotal, tblContacts.chrFName, tblContacts.chrLName, tblLastLookup.dteLastLookup, tblLastLookup.chrUserid FROM (C LEFT JOIN tblLastLookup ON C.[No] = tblLastLookup.intNo) LEFT JOIN tblContacts ON C.[No] = tblContacts.[No] WHERE ((C.[No]) IN (SELECT DISTINCT C.[No] FROM C LEFT JOIN tblSIC ON C.[No] = tblSIC.[No] WHERE ((State='NY' AND County IN ('Rensselaer'))) AND (Primsic LIKE '6411*') ) AND ( ((C.BusName) Like 'a*' OR C.SecBusName Like 'a*') AND ((tblContacts.chrLName) Like 'pop*') AND ((C.ProspectSt) Like 'Hot*')))

Is the problem that the subquery and main query use the same table?

Thanks for any assistance as I have a bad headache from banging my head against the wall.

Look at the indexes you have defined for the "C" table ... assuming it is a table and not a query.

Each of the fields "C.BusName", "C.SecBusName", "CT.chrLName" and "C.ProspectSt" is being searched and, if they are not indexed, then a full table scan will result.

You might also look into JET Showplan that will help you see how your query is being processed.

While indexes should definitely be your first step, there is one other item I noticed. Look at your query and see if you can convert the subselect statement into a standard join....

"...((C.[No]) IN (SELECT DISTINCT C.[..."

In my experience, subselect queries can drag query performance. When I had this problem, I simply converted the subselect into a join. Example...

SELECT cola, colb, colc, acol, bcol FROM tableA
WHERE colx IN (SELECT colx FROM tableA WHERE colv like 'A*');

Converted to...

SELECT cola, colb, colc, acol, bcol FROM tableA INNER JOIN TableA as A ON tableA.colx = A.colx WHERE A.colv like 'A*';

The performance on the second will likely be better than the first.

Try that too.

Gary
gwinn7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back