Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow in accessing over the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariabenita

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
SG
I have a system developed at VFP6. My problem is that when I install it over the network, it becomes very slow. I have a Pentium III Server and Celeron 300 Workstation connected at 100Mbs. My system and data are installed at the server side. I don't think that I have a problem with my hardware.
Should I make any adjustments with my system? Please give an advive!

Make sure that VFP is writing its temp files to the client and not back to the server. You may also be better off having the exe local on the client and the data files on the server.

Dear Maniaberita

Besides running from the local machine, you could consider running a "small" executable to run your main programs.
Let your main program be MAIN.EXE.
The job for main.exe is to check for updates at the server level. If the program to execute in the local machine is older than the one in the server, update the program(s) in the local machine by copying it (them) from the server. This way you'll make sure the executable running is the latest version.

Another thing you could do is to create small executables from your sub-programs and then run them from your main exe.

For example, if from your main window you call FormA and FormB and FormC to be executed, have FormaA be an executable, FormB be an executable and FormC be an executable. That way you will have small exes instead of a big papaya lonely-exe. This small exes will load faster and in the long term will require less down-time in case a change is made in one of them because you will only have to shut down the client(s) using that exe.

I hope that helps

Rianeiro
rianeiromiron@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back