Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very slow download speed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan418

Technical User
Apr 5, 2008
GB
Hi! I've been having trouble for the past 2 years with download speeds on my compaq presario desktop computer. AOL assure me that I am receiving 4-5 Mbps, but I cannot stream any sites, and am lucky if I can get 30Kbps speed at best! PC keeps losing connection, etc. You know the rest! Is there anything I can unblock (or unclick) that may make this nightmare go away? (p.s. I regularly keep my computer clean) Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks, Alan

Install Wireshark (free) and see what is hogging the bandwidth (if anything), and perhaps try reloading NIC drivers. What does a Speakeasy test reveal (up/down)?

Burt

Check for viruses with external free scans such as Kaspersky and Trend Micro. In safe mode

Download Spybot 1.52 and Spyware blaster 4.0, install both, run Spybot after it is updated and Immunized. In safe mode

Run Spybot again after a normal startup.

Run Pathping to an external IP or web site such as Yahoo.com, look for packet losses en-route. Adjust MTU if necessary (black holes). Eg Pathping yahoo.com

Google for TCP Optimizer , run it. Particularly the MTU test.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back