Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very slow computer.. very very very slow while surfing the www.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I use windows 95 with aol 6.0. In the last few days
The computer has slowed down to a crawl. Aol gave me a few pointers but it has'nt helped. After a few minutes on the seems tocrawl even slower. I shut off the computer and then restart it and then it works better and then slows down to a crawl.

I did a scandisk but that did'nt do anything. I did not defrag sine it said 1%.

Can anyone give me any suggestions and please be specific.

There is a 6 hard drive and its 75% empty! Its a 300 pentium.

Thanks Barry

I guess we need more information. What kind of connection do you have primarily? Cable or 56k? Where do you live (urban or rural)? Is your local ISP a big name or a small name?

Your best bet would be to check your cable or phone line to the outlet in the wall first of all. Those cords go bad fast for me. If this doesn't work, just call up your local ISP and complain, I highly doubt that AOL knows what to do. Maybe it's a problem being experienced by a lot of people. Maybe you're the only one having these problems. Just be nice to the phone rep, they didn't cause your problem. G'luk

if it starts off fine there are two things you could check,
1. make sure your hard drive is not full, reducing your paging file which slows your system down or
2. in your web browser, go to tools then internet options and delete your temporary internet files.

hope this helps... The only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked

There is another method. Remove your TCP/IP protocols, restart and readd in them.

Remove other protocols if you do not need them. You only need TCP/IP protocol to be able to connect to the internet.

Go and search for this software "TWEAKMASTER", this would help to tweak your internet surfing speed to maximum.

Try it.

Please let me know if this is helpful..

Cheers,
libroos

I use a 56k modem. I definitly deleted the catche. Tomorrow
I will get a new line from the telephone line to the computer. So far everything is still the same .. Also i live in a very populated area.! Any other suggestions?

Thanks barry

Try “CTRL+ALT+Delete” shutdown everything except Explorer (Windows Explorer) and any virus detection software/firewall, if this helps you may need to reconfigure your startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back