Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Simple App Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommill

Technical User
Sep 15, 2015
GB
I am a newbie to apps and androids and what I need is (I think) very simple. I need an app that, when the scan button is pressed, will use the in-built 1D laser reader (ie not the camera) in my Gen2Wave RP1300 unit to scan a simple barcode and save it, and when the button is pressed again, scan another one and save that, and so on. The user then needs to be able to select an option that will export the records saved to a text file that has a date and time stamp as part of its name. When the device is replaced in its stand, the file can be read off using a Windows program (that bit I know how to do).

There is a 'free' version of 'barcode2file' that does exactly this. The problem with it is that it is continuously scanning (ie not using the scan button) and this means the user continuously scans the same barcode if he doesnt move off it quick enough.

It may be that I am missing a setting in the RP1300 unit, but I can't see how to suppress automatic and continuous scanning, which makes me think it is a 'feature' of barcode to file app.

Can anyone help with advice on this, in either fixing the continuous scan on this app, or with offering a better solution? Please remember, I am a newbie to Androids and not a programming techie.

Many thanks

Certain parts of what you are looking for are not too difficult.

Creating an app that has buttons to control something is relatively easy.
What those buttons do is also relatively easy to accomplish.

The biggest challenge is controlling your 1D Laser Reader.
The web searches I have just now done on the Gen2Wave RP1300 have not turned up anything in the way of Programming documentation.

I'd first recommend contacting the vendor/manufacturer to see if they have any special documentation and/or advice on how to control: Turn ON, Read, Capture Image, Turn Off, etc. the Laser reader.

Once you get some information on how to programmatically 'talk' to the laser scanner, going forward will not be too difficult.

Alternatively if you could get the code (not just the 'compiled' APK executable) for the app you mention: 'barcode2file' then you could make modifications to it which would not be too difficult.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

After looking for your 'barcode2file' app, it appears as though it is no longer available on the Google Play store and the developer's website is no longer accessible.

If you HAD to go this route you could possibly use an Android APK decompiler to get to its java and res source code files.
If you wanted to do that you should do a Google search for: android apk decompiler

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in contact with the manufacturers of the RG1300, and they are trying to help.

They have sent me the information below which I have not had chance to try yet, partly because I don't have a clue what to do with it. I understand I need an Android development kit.

1) If you use only 2D scanner (don’t need a camera function.) Enable “Scanner Wedge” under below path.
** Scanner Wedge path : Settings >Barcode > Check “Enable Direct Input”

2) If you need to use both functions, 2D scanner and camera, you should enable/disable 2D scanner using following functions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intent startScan = new Intent(BarcodeScanner.DIRECT_INPUT);
startScan.putExtra(BarcodeScanner.KEY_SET_DIRECTINPUT_ENABLED, true);
The constants are defined in com.amarula.barcodescanner.sdk.BarcodeScanner
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need an Android development kit.

That's easy and its Free.

Plus there are a LOT of Free online Android Tutorials
Google for: android tutorials

And there are a LOT of books out there to purchase.

#1 looks like it is a configuration setting change that needs to be made within the Gen2Wave RP1300 unit itself.

The small piece of code they gave you (#2 above), is totally incomplete.
You need the code for the entire BarcodeScanner Class (java code) that they reference
It would have been nice if they could have given you the complete code for their referenced Android project:
com.amarula.barcodescanner.sdk.BarcodeScanner

However you have made some progress so that is a start.

Lets see how far you get with them.

Good Luck
JRB-Bldr

On looking at the specs, I find it interesting that the Gen2Wave RP1300 is still spec'd as using Android 4.1.2 (API level 16 and released around mid 2012) which, by today's standards, is an OLD version of the Android OS.
Even my own 'antique' cell phone is running 4.2.2
Yes 4.1.2 is functional, but the most in-use versions are 4.4/4.5 and the latest releases are 5.0 & 5.1

Based on the limited app functionality you describe above, I don't anticipate it causing any problems, but in the future it could introduce gotcha's (limitations, etc.) in any other code you might want to create.

You might ask the manufacturers why it hasn't been upgraded.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back