Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very serious problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mzlaki

Technical User
Aug 22, 2006
YU
When I use freehand tool point to point or magic wand and click several times, my computer shuts down.The power light indicator however continues to shine. Then I have to hold it for 5 seconds, and it turns off.
What can I do? It's very frustrating to lose great deal of work, especially when tubing.........

I use PSP X 10.03 many times a day for many months and have never had any problems with those tools.
What CPU, Memory, OS are you using?

I have Dell 4600, P4-2.8GHZ, 768 MB ram, XP SP2, C: 80GB

Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X, AMD Athlon 2000+, 512 MB ram, XP sp2, Asus GeforceFX5200

Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X, AMD Athlon 2000+, 512 MB ram, XP sp2, Asus GeforceFX5200

4 possible reasons or a combination of all four.

1. - Your computer could be locking up because of insufficient RAM. 512 is bare minimum for XP. PSP uses a lot also. I have a Gig and still run out when processing larger files.

2. - If you are tight on hardrive space, you could be running out of virtual memory also.

3. - Heat. Graphics are CPU and memory intensive. When was the last time you cleaned the dustbunnies out of the inside of your case?

4. - Too many programs running in the background and/or spyware.

1. Maybe, but I think not. It's not running slowly, but shuts down!
2. Virtual memory- there's an idea... How can I check this? Hard drive is half full.
3. Normal temperature. Checked.
4. I'm always careful about this.

Thanks for trying!

My Computer => View System Information => Advanced => Performance => Advanced => Virtual Memory (change) => this will show you what your settings are.

I suspect VM is not your problem as the default is to, theoretically, allow VM to expand as needed or until you run out of space. (unless you have a small hard drive) 50% usage on, say, a 20gig HD means you still have 10gigs free.

It was set to custom size, 766MB. I changed it to System managed to both partitions, and we'll see.
Maybe it's a hardware problem...

Hi Mzlaki,

I have exactly the same problem..!

My pc just suddenly shuts down, only if I use the PSP.
And believe me, it is not cooling, RAM, swap file size.
I have tried anything: Extra cooling of RAM, CPU, graphic card, extra fans, directly on the chipset etc.
Nothing helps. On the other hand, I can put some mean jobs on the computer without any problems.
Except some simpel operations in PSP, and it will shut down after a few seconds... :-(
Precisely as you write, the magic wand, markup etc.
Before seeing your post here I narrowed it down to:
It must have to do with the A7V board and the Athlon CPU.
I experienced the problem with a PSP X, then I got the PSP XI, and the problem stays the same. However I never had any problems with the PSP 9.xx
My computer is still the same as when I used the PSP 9.xx
ASUS A7V880 and AMD Athlon 2500+ (2.15 GHz)
I even tried to slow down the CPU to a 2400+ (1.95 GHz)
But the problem is the same.

Since my pc is overdue for an upgrade, I think I will switch to a Pentium D, or Dual Core 2, to be a little prepared for Vista as well.

After seeing your post, with exact the same problem, I am pretty sure it's an instruction in the PSP software that does not like to be executed on the A7V + Athlon.

Hope to hear what you think, after reading my post.
Even better: did you solve the problem.... :)

I am sorry you have the same problem, however, I'm glad I'm not the only one ;-)
My instinct tells me you're right. It's not the temperature, power failure... I guess my "power supply" is pretty bad- only 200W (I don't know the correct name for the PC component in English, hope you understand).
The same problem occurs on several other occasions:
1. When i watch Tv through my TVcard and have Firefox on;
2. Sometimes when I work in Adobe Photoshop- similar stuff- selecting
3. When my husband plays Chuzzle deluxe :)
.... I can't remember more examples...
Anyway, working in PSP has become a nightmare for me, I only make some simple tags without much selecting etc.
I guess I must have my PC checked by someone who's more experienced, maybe change some parts... The only problem is that he will have to do some work in PSP to figure out what happens ;-)

Here's an update. I found out what was wrong. My motherboard caused the problem. It kept shutting down my hard drive whenever I did some serious work on my PC. Unfortunately, this malfunction cannot be repaired, so I had to buy a new motherboard. So it wasn't about PSP after all...

Too bad there wasn't a BIOS update you could have applied to your old motherboard. What new motherboard did you get instead and is it stable now with PSP?

It wasn't a BIOS problem, it was a malfunction of the part where hard drive's ID controller is plugged in. My new motherboard is Gigabyte.
Sorry for lack of knowledge, my English is ok, but don't know many of the hardware components' names. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back