Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very much a beginner: Do i have ASP on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthcali

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
US
I am using Windows NT server 4.0 with the 4.0 Option Pack installed.

I went into Notepad and typed the following:

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<html>

<head>
<title>Example 1</title>
</head>

<body>

<p><% FirstVar = &quot;Hello world!&quot; %> <%=FirstVar%> </p>
</body>
</html>

i saved it as a .asp file. but, when i double clicked on the file, i got a blank page.

does anyone know what i am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Ruth ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

double click?

hmm

you should do this, turn on IIS (internet information server which is included in option pack) make sure you create a new virtual directory. enable scripting.

place the file in the C:\inetd\
type
and you should see it..

try typing to see if iis is running.

hui

if you double click on the file, it won't work. ASP must be called withing the browser

type the addres where your pages is and it should work

Tony
:)

when you means do u have asp...asp is active server pages, which is scripting pages...you have to have a web server that will do the actually scripting...IIS is a web server that can do scripting...so if you have IIS which is included in the option pack, you should be able to do it...but whenever you run a .asp file, you should never double click it cuz it doesn't run like that...you have to go to
localhost is usually link to C:\inetpub\ directory

so placing files there is way to go...but make sure IIS is running...

it's inetpub not inetd hehe...been doing too much solaris...

hui

make sure execution rights set in the directory where the files reside. That is a common mistake...The above people are right: you can't double click on an ASP file to run it; you have to open it fron the browser as a web link, not a file.

It works!! thank you all so much. I opened it from the web browser and typed 'localhost/filename'.

What i am ultimately trying to do is put my Access97 database on the web. i am on the right track trying to learn ASP?

does that mean that my web page HAS to go in that directory? in my case, it is E:\InetPub\ (not C:)

thanks,
ruth

ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

you can place the database in the same folder, but you may not want to.
It's better to create a Data Name Source on a local network for security reason.

If you need assistance, let me know... Tony

Oops, sorry
That would be a DSN Data Source Name. My apologies. Tony

Hui wrote &quot;make sure you create a new virtual directory. enable scripting.&quot;

How do i do that? How can i tell if it is already done?

ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

I didnt read too much of the replies, but If I am not mistaken , Option Pack 4 , does come with IIS, and the ASP pages, much be created under the InetPub/ folder, you create your sites in Internet Information Service Manager, for example, if you want to treat

C:\MySite (though \InetPub\ is your web root) as one of your sites, you can create a virtual directory and point it to that path, it will then allow you to in essense type http:\\localhost\MySite[orwhatever you called it]\ if you have index.asp it'll show that.

but alot of this has to be set up thru IIS manager, also once you have that set up, you can use publishers, like Visual Interdev (specically for ASP) , or FrontPage(more Client-side oriented) Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back