Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very loooong startup time on nnm6.2/hpux

Status
Not open for further replies.

WooShell

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
DE
Hi all!
Each time I start NNM, it takes up to more than one hour to load the alarm database etc, on a dual-CPU HP/9000 box. The system is at 100% load during that time.
Is that normal? If not, where can I start searching for errors? The map sync is only taking a few seconds, so I dont suspect the usual dns problem.
Please enlighten me.

I suspect this is either an application or server issue. The next time you start up NNM, run a top to see what is pegging out your processor. Unless your server has been undersized, it shouldn't be maxing out like that.

Another thing, if you haven't ever deleted or removed the old events from the alarm browser, it's probably long overdue. Archive the events into your data warehouse if you need them. Otherwise just blow them away.

Matt

My nnm 6.2 on Sun box will take about an hour after a crash. Like when the power goes out in a storm, longer than the UPS backup will provide for. Normal boot is less then 10 minutes. I would suspect that the system or database is going thru massive error checking. That would use up that hour. Assuming of course, that the op sys and hardware are working correctly.

No not normal, I had the same problem here. Go to the menu Options, Event Configuration and open it. Look at each Enterprises click on them one by one and go to the Events for Enterprise Alerts. Access each and every Event and go to Event Message. You will find the default is set all to Log Only even if you need to use this Event or not. Go to each event and change it to Don't log or display. Log only what you need and display only what you need. After you do this go to a command prompt and to a OVDUMPEVENTS read about this first. It will dump ALL events in the log file. You will then start with a new log and only logging the events that are needed. What is happening is that you are polling so many event (MIBS) while your starting up the CPU falls behind. Hope this helps.

Richard B. Butler
Certified: PC/LAN Technician, MCP, A+, CST
UIHC Telecommunication Services
Network/Communications Engineer III
200 Hawkins Dr., C-132 GH
Iowa City, IA 52242-1009
319-353-6591

RBB
Network/Communications Engineer III
Certified PC/Lan Technician, MCP, A+, CST

Status
Not open for further replies.