Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very large scale backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin9999

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am about to setup BE on a network from which it is going to pull data from approx. 30 servers. This will include lotus domino machines running the appropriate agent (and will be pulling off live data) and Oracle databases (which don't need to be live).

We will be using Compaq storageworks multiple tape setups, so can do concurrent backups from different servers.

Has anyone had experience with setups of this magnitude. What issues could we expect???? Are the Notes agents reliable? Will pulling data off 30 servers cause major throughput issues or is it possible to schedule connections to the servers?

Any input would be appreciated.
Regards
Gavin Pollock

Gavin,

Before you deploy, you might want to explore Veritas Netbackup. You will see major throughput issues using your data network to do backups. You might want to consider installing another NIC in each server and creating your own backup network. This will help in network performance. You can schedule connections by proper scheduling of jobs. Another route to explore is to have local tape drive attached to servers with the largest amount of data.. hope this helps you

Nathan Schmidt
Network Engineer

What Storageworks componients will you be installing? I have implemented the Storageworks backup solution and I ran into a serious problem with the FCTC-II. As an end result, it was necessary to purchase the MDR.

We will be using the TL891 Minilibrary, with the Expansion kit, and the StorageSystem UE.

I don't expect any problems with these... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back