Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Fustrated A+ bookworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPLWU

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
US
I am just about ready to take ron gilster and mike myers and shove each of there books directly where the sun dont shine...the books are great for their practice tests, but in practical application, i learned more in 1 month of tech support..what is the deal..and some of there anwers to questions dont match, and more imortantly are just flat out incorrect, I have actually been doing hardware and software support and know the answer of the questions through practical use...why are they giving me answers that are either not entirely true, or worded to seem as if it could be more than one answer.....perfect example...when the boot process is at the startup screen and the user presses the f8 key what mode does this take them to?
a. safe mode
b. safe mode with networking
c. step by step confirmation
d. command prompt only

now when I press f8 at startup it gives me the option of all of the following, so the logical choice is all of the above..but wait, thats wrong because there was no all of the above...so...yeah...the answer is safe mode..so what do you press to get safe mode with networking..f33?

Yeah for the test, they want you to say Safe Mode when you press F8. Since that brings you to the menu that will allow you to go to it.

I believe it's F6 that'll take you directly to Safe Mode W/Networking, I think F5 will take you Directly into Safe Mode itself. I could be wrong, I haven't had to use those keys in awhile, and have been focusing on Cisco so my mind is a little off track from things Microsoft!

-RCB-

Have you checked the publishers web site for errata. They usually post corrections if someone has brought them to their attention. I know some editions of Mike Myers are filled with typos and just plain errors.

Check with the publishers. You might save yourself a lot of heartache.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CET,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

If I may, stay away from the ExamCram. They have more typos and errors than should be allowed. And yes, I have noticed that quite a few of those "self-help" guides have a number of errors in them. You'd be best in my opinion to stick with the literature your class suggested (providing they suggested a decent book ...). The books I had for my class when I was taking it are quite good. I believe the author is Jean Anderson. I can get it for you later.

The three certifications I obtained were based on books on the same subject from different sources, including ExamCram. ExamCram I found to have a wealth of excellent information and very few mistakes.

In a perfect world, there would be no errors in these books. Being that is not the case, when we study for these exams from the materials offered out there, make sure you study from different sources, know the material, and pass the test.

Its that simple guys.

Gary
gwinn7
A+,N+,I+

gwinn7n, you got lucky. :p My teacher even suggested I contact ExamCram to complain. At any rate, use what you feel comfortable using. :)

I am Comptia A+ Certified

I took both A+ exams, Network+ exam, and 70-210 exam using only the Mike Meyers books and Self Test Software.

One thing I can say for the MM books is this:

NUMEROUS times I've read the statement similar to something like this: "On the test, the correct answer will be xxxxxxx, but in the real world, we know this will not work."

This is the mindset you have to get into for the tests. When I took my 70-210 exam, I was like "hell no, none of these are the correct answer in the real world".

Overclocker
(A+, Net+, MCP)

Well guys, I ended up just using the Mike Meyers Passport and the A+ for dummies books and used the testing sites provided by glister in other threads....I agree that some of the things arent applicable to real world situations, but as I read more into it, i noticed that most of those references were made to the "dinosaur" computers..

I know it can be a pain to read about dinosaur computers, but if the exam still covers anything to do with those subjects, the books have to cover it. Additionally, certification books cover a lot of dinosaur material because that background can help you grasp important new concepts.

Tracey Rosenblath
AKA Paisleyskye
A+/MOUS/MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back