Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Excited HD Light...No User

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hey Everyone,

I have a goofy problem. I think my computer is possessed sometimes. It wouldn't suprise me in the least bit. But here is the problem:

When I leave my computer alone for more than five minute either with the workstation being locked or it just sitting here while I am working here at my desk, the hardrive light comes on and goes on for a while. There is a tone of activity with it, but when you touch the mouse or touch a key, it quits. I have opened up the Task Manager and let it sit here for the five minutes and nothing shows taking up a bunch of CPU or anything, so I can't seem to figure out what is causing it to do that. If there is a little ghost in side or a mouse that is doing this to irritate me, he is doing a good job, so I am looking for either an exterminator or a soultion to this problem. Thanks!

Are you using antivirus, findfast or indexing? Sounds like you are using one of these set to operate when the system is idle.

Hi,

I do think that I have indexing enabled, but woulnd't you think that everything should be indexed by now? I only have about 1.5Gb of stuff on my workstation, all the other stuff is on my server.

The indexing tends to be updated hence the need to repeat it. Try checking in control panel for findfast and then open it and view the log. If these times tie in with when you are seeing the activity this could be the cause. Also check your antivirus setting, these may be set to scan system when inactive

I had a similar problem with wierd drive accesses, and tracked down the program accessing the drive using the freeware &quot;ntfilemon&quot; from << JOC >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back