Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very basic query - auto-update 1 field based on another table

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainm

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
AU
It's been a long time since I did any access work, and I can't remember how to do this, even though I know it should be easy. I've got two tables in concern here - one is a set of equipment records, and the other contains the history of those units. The equipment table has an EQ# (primary key) and an old ID (unique). The History table has an EQ# and is related to equipment table on this. My users want me to add a field to the data entry form of the history table so that they can confirm when they're entering a new record that they have the right piece of equipment - they're all used to dealing with the old id. What I want to do is set it up so that the history table has an old ID field , and after update of the EQ# in the history form the old ID is automatically set to the value of the old ID associated with that EQ# in the equipment table. I figured I could write the SQL for this easily, but it hasn't proven to be so. Any help you can give would be apreciated.
cheers,
-Iain

iainm: You can pull this off quite simply by using a DLookUp.

In the Source criteria of a textbox on the DataEntry Form just use the EQ# to get the old Id from the Equipment table.

=DLookUp("[ID]","tblEquipment","[EQ#]=Forms![myform]![mytextbox]")

..and by the way, I would be a bit cautious about using machine charcters in the field names. You can always set your caption in the table properties but leave the field name as EQNo or EQID.

The DLookUp should read:

=DLookUp("[ID]","tblEquipment","[EQ#]=Forms![myform]![EQ#]")

...if you use EQ# for the name of that textbox; so my reference in the first post to "mytextbox" is the NAME of the textbox that has the EQ# value.

If your form is based on a query, you can add the Equipment table to the query, join on EQ#, and add a column in the query for the old ID. Then you can add the old ID on your form in a read-only text box so your users can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back