Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical alignment of objects in line of text

Status
Not open for further replies.

domxp

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
PL
Hello! I use not English language version, so I may assign wrong names to some things below. So well, I do never use fram as a tool for handling objects (i.e. equations, pictures, charts) in text. This will never a be a reliable tool. I always paste objects and require them to be "in text" (the first option available). Especially with equations. Now in Word XP, as I insert my equation (especially form other, usually older doc), and it is bigger than text, it's sometimes get such alignment:

object
object
text text object text

I would rather prefer it to be that way (as iyt is as I inser new equation):

object
text text object text
object

I can't find out how to control that in Word XP - I'm sure I was able to do that in previous version, but I don't remeber how. The only thing I remember is that it was pretty simple, unfortunately not now.

when importing images to Word, you can right click on the object and choose format so you can place the object in relation to the surrounding text--there are even more choices if you go to "advanced"

domxp:

I prefer *in line with text* also.

Do this:

Click on object.
Hit Format Font (yes...format font!)
Choose the Character Spacing tab.
Change the setting for *Position*.

:) Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

Thanks for answers !

To carrion2: I know about those options, but I don't like them. I want to have my objects "in line with text".

The example of what I'm writing about could be as follows: I often work with rather large equations which should have it's number on the right side of page. I want to have this number in the middle of the height of the object. If I create a new equation in MathType - no problem. But if I paste some of my old eguations, they sometimes appear "in line with text" as should, but with downward alignment.

To Dreamboat: Thanks a lot, your trick is very cute! But with it I'd have to empirically try to establish a correct shift in points each time, depending on the size of an object. I know there must be a way to make it faster. If you would agree I could mail you a .doc with both cases: correct and incorrect, and the task would be to correct the incorrect one (and than you could see that the correct one is for some reason correct not because of your trick, which by the way will be very usefull for me in some other situations).

Sure. Send it. :) Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back