Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Versioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

badhris

Programmer
Oct 23, 2007
IN
Can anyone help me what is versioning in informatica?

(Versioning in mapping,etc.,)

And how to do it?

And how to enable versioning in repository ?

Versioning allows you to save previous versions of a map, session, workflow, etc. Once you set it up, it's all or nothing. You update the repository in the admin console for version 8.x. I don't remember where it is on version 7.x any more.

There's nothing you have to do after it's set up except to check out/check in the objects you are working on. Note: version 7.x does an automatic check out which is really annoying if you are just viewing the object.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

In case of the 7 version:

AFAI can remember you do need to pay for using the versioning and there is just one (1) moment to activate it.

Version 7 does indeed use a sort of 'soft-checkout' that is pretty annoying.

Versioning is pretty cool when you need to migrate a new version from testing to - say - production. In version 7 it was not perfect,but quite usefull.

Keep in mind that using versioning will have a profound effect on the repository. You need to take into account that metadata reporting by any tool addresses the proper active records.

In any case you need to make up your mind BEFORE starting, you cannot switch to versioning halfway..

Ties Blom

Keep in mind that using versioning will have a profound effect on the repository. You need to take into account that metadata reporting by any tool addresses the proper active records.

Good luck on that one! It took me days to finally crack their verisioning linkage. And that was over a few months 'cause it was so painful - doh!

We got versioning as part of our package. I don't know if there's other packages that require you to pay. Deployment is iffy/buggy in version 7.x. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it destroys what you migrated - argh! I wish they would get their act together on these things...

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

I recommend that you upgrade to 8.x. The changes are significant and worth the effort.
I believe Data analyzer is part of the Powercenter product.
High availability requires additional licensing and so does many of the connectors, metadata tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back