Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Differencences issues/compatability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCrusty1

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
I'm developing on a new version of Access 2k. Our IT dept. has unfortunatley installed newer version as new people come to our department. What this means is that I have SP-3, however, several people in my department have 2, 1, or even original Access 2k Pro, no updates. Obviously, there are some incompatabilities with the versions when using VBA. I'm trying to find out what those differences are.

Can anyone give me a link to some whitepapers, or URL with information detailing the differences in VBA, or even better, the incompatabilities?

Thanks
Crusty.

I live to work and I work to live.

CptCrusty1
You might want to go to the Microsoft site and do a search for "Migrating to Office 2003."

Also look for "References to set when using Access 2003"

Tom

I'm actually using Access 2000, not 2003. I'm currently on the Office site tho...

I'm sorry...I misread. My bad.

I use Access 2000 Pro.

Make sure you have the latest Jet engine.

Also go to VBA, and then References, and make sure you have the following references checked...
Visvual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library

Tom

If you have Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library
referenced, it is best to reference the DAO library when setting up variables:
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

It is also best to move the reference to the DAO library up the reference list as far as it will go.

That seems to be the issue. The IT dpt. installed the original Office 2k, and then over time, newer versions of the same apps. So our oldest PC has Access 9.0.2720, while the newest (mine) has 9.0.6620. We also have several versions in between. Thus, there are compatability issues between them with regards to the libraries... I need tech info on the specific differences so that I can convince them that they need to bring everyone up to speed.

(sigh)... I fully understand that the best way to resolve this issue is to upgrage everyone to the same SP level. However, the problem is that I'm not in the MIS dpt, even though I know more about it then they do. I have to provide evidence and reasoning so that they can spend the money to have an MIS employee come down and upgrade the pc's. If someone can provide me with a URL or information about the differences, or what was added/changed to the SP's, I can state my case air-tight. I know that the SP's have differences... what I need to know is undeniable truth as to what exactly is different within them that makes them uncompatable...

What is wrong with Microsoft's descriptions of the service packs?

Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 (SP8) for Windows 2000 (KB829558)
Brief Description
Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 (SP8) provides the latest updates to the Jet 4.0 database engine with Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End Users
Brief Description
Download Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) to obtain updates that can help improve security, application compatibility, operating system reliability, and Setup. [red]SP4 is a recommended upgrade.[/red]

Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3)
This service pack also includes all updates released since Office 2000 SR1:
Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 2 (SP-2)
Access 2000 and SQL Server 2000 Readiness Update
Excel 2000 SR1 Macro Modification Security Update: April 25 2002
Excel 2000 SR-1 Update: Eurotool Add-in
Office 2000 Clip Gallery Update: June 19, 2002
Office 2000 Security Update: UA Control Vulnerability
Office 2000 Speller Update
Office 2000 SR-1 Update: Web Client Security
Outlook 2000 SR-1 Update: Extended E-mail Security
Outlook 2000 SR-1 Update: Java Permissions Security
Outlook 2000 SR-1 Update: View Control Security
PowerPoint 2000 SR-1 Security Update: Extended Parsing Vulnerability
Word 2000 Security Update: Macro Vulnerability
Word 2000 Update: April 25, 2002
Word 2000 Update: October 16, 2002

Deploying Office 2000 Service Pack 2

Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a)
Brief Description
Office 2000 SR-1a provides important product updates to Office 2000 in one place. Microsoft recommends that all Office 2000 customers upgrade to Office 2000 SR-1a to receive the latest updates and optimal benefits.

Remou, thanks for the information, really, thanks... above and beyond. I have 5 different versions of Access in my group. STuff I develope isn't working on the other pc's because of ADO AND DAO reference library differences. In most cases, I select (for example ADO v 2.7) the version I have, but the other PC's don't have that version. Not only that, I don't have the earlier version so I can't select it either. (sigh) very frustrating. I also have a whole bunch of code running DAO to email files, however, we're all using DAO 3.6, and it appears that its slightly different from PC to PC, just enough so that it causes problems. I'm trying to PinPoint what was changed/updated/ (not fixed) to show that earlier versions of the VBA code are incompatable with the newer versions becuase X or Y is missing, yadda yadda.... I have to convince the MIS dept. that its broke. I think you're beginning to see how frustrating this is.

I would have thought "SP4 is a recommended upgrade due to ... security issues" would convince them! :)

NOT! We have a term here.... Software Hindered by IT.... make the acronym....

Again,

Any help is appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back