Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Control 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengo

Programmer
Apr 17, 2000
US
I need help. Can someone whos been in the programming business for a while explain to me how the versions of vb (major, minor, revision) are supposed to be used. Like when do you go to the next version? If there is no standard what is a good way to use them. Thank you for help in advance. :)

I don't know of any standard but I try to follow the following guidelines that I have set for myself.

Change Revision
- Bug fixes
- code enhancments (better speed, resource management)
- Sent out to public domain

Change Minor
- additional features (improved data finder,new date picker, etc.)
- GUI adjustments (things a user might notice)
- Change tools (Data report to Crystal)

Change Major
- GUI overhaul
- Many minor changes
- Program overhaul
- Major program changes (upgraded to operate under a new or anoher OS, now works with Oracle as well as MS SQL, Web enabled, etc.)

There are also other things to consider such as marketing. I will also change a number if another one is getting too high, for example 1.0.24 might be better recieved as 1.1.0.

Also who says that you have to start at Version 1.0.0.

One other note if I change the minor number I reset the revision number, etc.

I hope that this helps somehow. I have wondered how other handle the version numbers myself. It will be interesting to see how others respond.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

As once explained to me...

Revision = bug fix

Minor = Minor functionality added (adding a new report)

Major = Major renovations done to the base code. App may have new look or interface. Some unused functionality removed or improved in hope it's not a waste of code etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back