Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Control in VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfast

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi, here's a really easy question.

How do I save different versions of my programs in VB6.

It seems like it is autosaving my forms... and I have
many of them in one project. I would like to save
backup projects, various versions.

Thank you,

David Brook

BTW have you tried :

will allow you to navigate many pages without stopping
after each one.

dim wait as boolean
for i=1 to numpages
wait=true
while wait
doevents
WB.navigate2 url(i)
wend

Private Sub WebBrowser1_NavigateComplete2(ByVal pDisp As Object, URL As Variant)
wait = False
End Sub

This was stumping me majorly..

Create folders ...

V1
V2

and every time you want to make changes copy the latest code into the new folder and open the project from there.

(The cheap easy way)

Good Luck

Yeah, the Visual Studio source control is notorious, so I've never used it. Unless this is some huge project, do it the ugly but foolproof way of duplicating the entire source, like vb5prgrmr suggests. You can save space by only backing up the form and project files, not all the images and whatever else is associated with your program. All you really need is *.vbp, *.frm, and *.frx. (The last will keep you from losing your image paths for button pictures and such.)

If it's really a huge project and you need to be able to restore to arbitrary points in a branching development version tree, then consider CVS, the Concurrent Versions System, "the dominant open-source network-transparent version control system." It's free, and like most open source programs, it's not terribly user friendly, but it is extremely secure, powerful, and bug-free.

I concur with vb5prgrmr - but if you are in the fortunate situation to have access to SourceSafe, it integrates very nicely with VB 6 and you can simply version control your forms et. al just by checking out and in.

if you want the code (only a few lines) i wrote a little exe that you can stick on the taskbar, when clicked it copies your main VB file (ie all my vb stuff is in mydocuments/visualbasic/whatever) to a backup file that appends the time to the file name.

Ifast ...
If you have VSS this sounds like a perfect candidate for Branching.
Create a new project for Version2 then the source code can be shared, with changes to version 2 not affecting version 1.
It is quite user friendly and does work well with VB6.

thank you all.. .
I guess the quick and dirty way is copy to V1...Vn directories. . . No source safe or VSS or anything like that...

Heh.. have you guys played with Microsoft's "Direct Text to Speech" dll (ActiveX control) ... with one command (speak) you can talk.. pretty neat...

-- David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back