Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version advice re: VS2005 or VS2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggdev

Programmer
May 29, 2007
GB
I'm in need of some version advice.
I have an established VB6 application using MS Access 2000 and CRW 7.
I am intending to modernise/upgrade and was intending to switch to CRW11 with Access 2007 or SQL Server 2005 (possibly express).
I have found that some suppliers have stopped supplying VS2005 and are supplying VS2008 instead. VS2008 is not compatible with CRW11 (which I already have) etc.. Seems a bit like chasing my tail.
I am not aware of any features that I need VS2008 for, just coming under pressure to upgrade from VB6 as quite old. I am aware that VS2005 requires SP1 to run on Vista.
I'm swaying towards upgrading to VS2005 SP1, rather than VS2008.
Is anyone aware of any compatability issues I should consider?
Is it easier upgrading VB6 to VS2005 rather than VS2008?
Is buying VS2005 a bit short sited?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

It all depends. Firt I would say are the systems you likely to develop for are they XP or Vista. If you are running XP and you are sure you don't need any of the new features then I say VS2005. Is it short sited. That all depends. Since Windows is expected to have a new operating system around 2010 I don't really think so. Some are saying as early as 2009, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Near that time I'm sure they will have a new Visual Studio and then you will come to the question again of "Do I need to upgrade?" Right now at this point you have to look at both of them as short sited. Since .Net is how it will go from now on I still suggest upgrading to one or the other. There is no telling how much of 2008 may or may not become redundant by that time.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.

Sorwen,
Thank you for the reply.
I will be developing on Vista and the application needs to be compliant with both Vista and XP, so cannot use any code/methods that are only available to Vista.
I take your point about VS2008 being replaced and by then both VS2005/2008 will be older versions requiring an upgrade.
My hunch is to stick with VS2005/SP1 as a proven platform unless anyone has any horror stories of using VS2005/SP1 on Vista.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back