Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 9.0 MSDE Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec9742

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2001
US
On Page 259 of the BE manual it shows as a backup selection Micorosft SQL Server "BKUPEXEC". That selection does not show as a backup selection on my system. I have been able to perform database maintenance and use BE with no issues. I am using the MSDE database that came with BE 9.0.

the screenshot ypu are talking about would only be the same on your installation if a) BE was in Evaluation or b) if you had the sql licence installed. You do NOT need the sql agent installed purely for the sake of backing up the BE DB as it will perform a backup of the sql DB and dump it to the BEDB.BAK (veritas\backup exec\nt\data) anyway. you can always back this up to tape if required for added peace of mind.

Cheers
Dog

So what you are saying is that it is normal not to visually see the mdse database as a backup selection unless you had installed the Sql agent software. Secondly backup exec can backup the database to a file which then can be backed up during a normal backup operation.

One final question

How often does Backup Exec dump to the bedb.bak file or is that something that is configured as an option within backup exec?

So what you are saying is that it is normal not to visually see the mdse database as a backup selection unless you had installed the Sql agent software. Secondly backup exec can backup the database to a file which then can be backed up during a normal backup operation.

>>> Exactly or unless BE is in Eval.

How often does Backup Exec dump to the bedb.bak file or is that something that is configured as an option within backup exec?

>> default time is daily around 10 PM I believe > check your alerts tab and you should see alerts there saying that it performed the operation

>>> You can reconfigure the time it dumps a copy of the DB either (doing this from memory a bit) either via the beutility.exe (in the backup exec\nt directory) or somewhere within the BE GUI

>> you should take a look at the beutil anyway, some useful features there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back