Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 23H2 preventing full shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekBiker

Technical User
Nov 26, 2010
GB

Experiencing problem that my Windows 11 laptop doesn't shut down fully, or go into sleep mode. This didn't happen until the 3 March update to Windows version 23H2.
Many threads describe this but none of the suggested fixes work for me and I have to hold the On/OFF button down for tens of seconds to get it to shut down, then it restarts okay. The laptop is a year old.

Check what the Advanced power settings say. Does it say "when I press the sleep button" "go to sleep " or "do nothing". While you are at it, check what pressing the pwer button says.

It says 'Go to sleep'. On powering off it says 'Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and we'll restart for you'. It doesn't restart, and I have to hold down the power button for approx 20 seconds for it to turn off fully. Then it will restart but goes through the same cycle next time, even if choosing Sleep.

Have you made any progress with this problem?

Windows decided to install this for me two days ago and I have not had any problems.

Sorry for late response, the notifications come a separate email address that I've only just checked.

At first I lived with it, because holding down the Off button for tens of seconds forced shut down. Then it started as normal next time.

Now I'm not getting repetitions and see there was another Windows update a week after the one that caused the problem. Maybe that fixed it.

This wouldn't be the first time a windows update broke something.

A while ago the preview of pdf files in file explorer stopped working on my desk top pc. The only change that I could find was a set of windows updates. Then a few weeks later the preview started working again after another windows update.

Not a peep out of Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back