Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verizon Fios and Cisco Router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanBKNY

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
I have Verizon Fios at home and I was thinking about plugging it directly into one of my Cisco Routers. I know that theoretically it is possible, but I just have not tried it yet. Has anyone tried it? If so, I would love to know how things worked out.

Jonathan

I have done it with a PIX. Mine is PPOE. not all the verizon service is PPOE so you may have static or dynamic. It should work.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Expand on the service a bit...is it adsl? What kind of router?

Burt

Burt

FIOS= FIBER INSTALLATION ON SITE

I know I have what looks like a small fiber mux in my basement however verizon calls it an optical network terminal or ONT. Here is the Verizon deffinition

Technology
Verizon FiOS products are delivered over the FTTP network using passive optical network (PON) technology. Voice, video, and data travel over three wavelengths in the infrared spectrum. To serve a home, a single-mode optical fiber extends from an optical line terminal (OLT) at a FiOS central office or head end out to the neighborhoods where an optical splitter fans out the same signal on up to 32 fibers- thus serving up to 32 subscribers. At the subscriber's home, an optical network terminal (ONT) transfers data onto the corresponding copper wiring for phone, video and Internet access.

So burt I was hoping to use this on a Cisco 2621XM but I need to know if I would need a special interface for it, like the one that is used for a T1

Jonathan

I was thinking our running it through a 2621XM with a wic2t if tha sounds doable

What medium is the inside end of the MUX? Is it ethernet?

Burt

My FIOS is an ethernet handoff. I have seen it 2 ways. you can have ethernet right at the ONT or they will come into you house on COAX and then they put in a Router that will give you the ethernet handoff. THe only thing to be careful of is TV if you get it from them. All the guides and PPV comes from the network. if you have any control get it as ethernet at the ONT. then you dont need their equipment.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

If it's an ethernet handoff, then no special card is needed---just hook it to the router fa0/0, the LAN to fa0/1. Is this MUX deal doing any NAT?

Burt

Burt,
Mine is an ethernet handoff and the ONT does nothing other than convert fiber to ethernet. I am not sure if they do it differently other places. I know if they bring in COAX to their router it may do the NAT and DHCP and stuff.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

OK---then set the fa0/0 to ip add dhcp, then NAT to that interface.

Burt

Hey Burt

Yeah I am actually on coax handoff from the ont, However on the ONT there is a customer side of the box. You can open it, unplug the coax and just plug in an ethernet cable instead. I was just to busy this weekend to try it.

Also, Thanks to everyone and all of the information that was given..

Jonathan

Depending on the router and the speed of your FIOS link, the router might actually be a bottleneck. I don't know much about FIOS but I seem to recall hearing people say they were getting 30 Mbps or more. It takes a fairly beefy router to forward that much traffic. Just because a router has a Fast Ethernet interface doesn't mean it can actually forward that much traffic.

He has a 2621XM, which should do the trick. I have a 2620XM, and the LAN side easily does 100MBps.
He could get up to T3 speeds (45MBps).

Burt

There's no way a 262xXM can forward 100 Mbps. it just can't do it. You have to get up to a 265xXM to even support fractional T1 speeds. I used to have a Cisco document that showed the forwarding rates for all of their routers, but I seem to have lost it. Which is a bummer. That was a cool document to have around!

Remember, I'm talking about actual throughput. The lower-end routers just can't keep up with their own interface speeds. Another example is the DS3 interface cards on the 2600-series routers. I believe you can put one in a 2650, but even Cisco's product information pages tell you that you can't get a full DS3 on that router. You have to move up to something like a 3660 to run a full DS3 without having to worry about throughput issues.

That's not the one I was looking for, but it's better than the one I was looking for because it shows more routers. As you can see, with fast switching enabled, the 262xXM routers can forward 15.36 Mbps with 64-byte packets. That could definitely be a bottleneck with something as fast as FIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back