Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomslacks

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

I am using BE 8.5 on a Sony backup device with WinNT 4.0 server. On fridays I do a normal back-up at 11pm. for the last several weeks when I come in on monday morning the backup has not started and has kicked out the tape. I get an error stating unrecognized media, I push the same tape back in and then the job starts fine. I get this error in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sonysdx-VRTS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 2/21/2003
Time: 11:00:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 7 ) in Source ( sonysdx-VRTS ) cannot be found. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Tape0.
Data:
0000: 03 00 18 00 01 00 76 00 ......v.
0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 9c 00 00 c0 ....œ..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0038: 02 c4 00 00 02 30 03 00 .Ä...0..

no other errors are recorded in the logs. I thought at first they were bad tapes but i started using brand new tapes and I am getting the same results. ALso I was cleaning the drive once a week but now I am cleaning daily. I believe the event 7 is a medium error but cant seem to find any reason while it doesnt work then it does. Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

What does the JOB LOG in Backup Exec show? Right click on the failed job, select properties, go to the Job Log tab and view the log.

-SQLBill

It doesnt show the job as failed in the job log. I put in a tape around 3pm, come back around 4pm to check that the tape is still in the drive. The job is scheluded to run at 11pm, when i come in on Monday morning (happens during theweek also) there is a error message that has a time of 11pm of unrecognized media and the tape is ejected. I push the same tape back in and the job starts. It takes all day for the backup to run during business hours. In the event viewer there is a message of event ID 7. There is no log that i can find that retains the unrecognized media. The only way I have been able to come back and see which jobs failed like that is the completion time is around 20 hours for the during the week and around 55 hrs over the weekend. This has happen at least 5 times over the last 3 weeks.

Tom

We are having a very similar problem with BE 8.6. Occasionally, the tape will be ejected immediately as the backup starts, and BE will ask for a new tape. In these cases, it is necessary to do an erase job on the tape before continuing however. I would think was indicating a bad tape, except that at other times, the exact same tape will work fine. This is happening on several servers but they are all Dells. It has also only starting happening since we upgraded to 8.6. The tapes being used are anywhere from a few months old to brand new.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

We had similar problems with BE-9.6 for Windows. The unattended jobs did not start any more some day, and waited for confirmation (mouse click).

We use a Dell PowerVault attatched via SCSI and LTO media. Our workaround is now: go to the device tab and just click onto each medium after insertion. This seems to solve the problem.

I have called veritas on this one. They were pointing to hardware issues. They had me update the firmware for the tape drive. Also to change the speed on the SCSI device channel to 5 in SCSI utilities. It was at 60. Do you have any type of media set settings that could be giving you problems. I adjusted my media sets to allow overwrite after 2 weeks, hence i nebver have to erase a tape.

We updated all drivers & firmware involved (scsi adapter, drive, library) and defined a media set with overwrite protection, nothing helped. Only the mouseclick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back