Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas V.10 Restore DC, DNS server on New box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndthegap1

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
US
one of our domain controllers went down. It is not the first domain controller in the domain, and does not contain any of the 5 roles.
the server is a domain controller and dns server.
We are running veritas v. 10 and the server has windows 2000 on it. We have a new machine that we have to restore to. I backed up the entire server before it crashed. I have installed windows 2000 on the new server and partitioned with the same size partitions as the old server, and installed the remote agent.
My quesiton is according to veritas i have to restore the winnt folder as well as system state, etc. By doing this wont this cause problems with drivers etc ?
How can i restore the domain controller properties and the dns info ?

Well your looking at something outside the scope of Veritas. Veritas can do the restore but how the system is going to act is a different story.

Your trying to restore to different hardware which is almost impossible ..but can be done painfully. There are a few Microsoft KB on it.

I have restored the C: and System state and before the reboot load the latest drivers for your new box (NIC, SCSI, RAID) then reboot. Sometimes you can get away with it without the BSOD. If your dying server is older most likely the RAID controller is not the same in the new server which usually caused the BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back