Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy12

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
I was wondering what the overall concensus was on Veritas Netbackup. We are working towards purchasing a new product and would like some feedback. We are currently using CA's AS2000, but since this will be used for multi platforms now we are combining efforts...Any feedback is welcome

I think that NBU is a good product and it "does the job"
We all have our own list of features that we would like to have included in NBU, but on the other hand we would just ad new features to the list at a higher rate then Veritas can add them.

NBU supports most platforms on the client side and the same is true for most databases. Even MS Sharepoint Portal Server will be supported from next week I think.

Except that there is no support for any kind of mainframes the only limitation I have seen on the client side is that you can't get a DB agent for Adabas, but since I don't run that any more it's not a problem for me.

On the hardware side I would go for some well known vendors solutions. This could be StorageTek on the tape/library side, Brocade on the switch side and Qlogic on the HBA side.

Another thing is that the better you know your needs the better you can "push" Veritas to give you the "right" price. The best time is always when you buy your first licens (but that is true for most vendors)

The one thing I would say is if you're going to back up Oracle on NT/W2K, have a good look around. We backup about 25 NT servers (standard NT class type) and 5 Oracle servers. Have just got the Oracle classes sorted out after about a year of going back and forward to Veritas. The NT all work fine, but because the Oracle backup uses RMAN to do the actual backup, it seems a bit flakey!

Don't get me wrong - it is coming into place now, and seems to work fine now - but a fair bit of effort to get it there!

Sorry - I disagree 100% - Oracle is not flaky as you put it. The backups for Oracle are perfect in NetBackup and we have had many restore successfully done.

The key is - You need to understand Oracle to make it work perfectly. We have an Oracle DBA who has done a phenomenal job on settig up RMAN etc.

My shop has a mixed environment of Windows/NT, Windows 2000, HP UX, Tru64 Unix, and OpenVMS. We also have several database platforms: Sybase, MS SQL, and Oracle.
We went with Veritas NetBackup Data Center because it was (and still appears to be)the best application to centrally manage the backups of this diverse an environment.
We had a lot of grief starting up, which eventually was traced to our hardware supplier. Veritas was on the phone with us every day for over half a year supporting us through our problems, which we not even caused directly by their application. [medal]
However, we have a lot of data on our VMS servers to back up, and currently this has to be done over network connections to a Unix or Windows platform. Using Gigabit connections on the network has eliminated the network component from being a significant bottleneck for backup speeds, but it still means a lot more network traffic than I would like. If Veritas ever added a media server component (i.e. allow direct backups to tape drives local to the VMS servers), I would give it top marks.
When we purchased our backup solution, we compared functionality and the learning curve of Veritas against Legato, and Veritas come out significantly better.
[thumbsup]

Sorry - didn't mean to say Oracle backup was flakey - meant to say our install seems to be a bit flakey! Our initial install was by a reseller, (who have since gone bust) - and they really didn't have the first clue about the product once they got here!
Over the weekend, however, we have had our first successful run of all oracle backups since they were added a year or so ago. - So maybe not so flakey now......hopefully!

Thanks all for your input! It was very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back