Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas or Arcserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifu

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
GB
Looking at new backup software, has anyone got any views on the lastest versions of these products. With the past versions it did seem like a case of horses for courses.

Has the lastest versions shown any advantages over one to the other?

Many Thanks

I cannot tell you an advantage but we are using Arcserce 2000 ( A.K.A BrightStore) It is working great and no problems as of yet. However CA's support can really be a pain in the tail. just my 2 cents Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

They are both miserable products. I would suggest you take a look at Yosemite's TapeWare software.

I have just read the System Administration Manual on the Veritas Backup Exec for Win NT/2000. It seems to be a very good backup application. It has a host of options for backing up. I also might add that Veritas NetBackup version 3.5 is also a good backup application for backing up data that is connected by multiple connections. i.e. Lan/Wan, dial-up and multiple operating systems. Such as:Win 98/95/NT/Unix/Mac OS, etc. It is a very good backup applications.

Willie.

Never Used Arcserve so I couldnt comment. We use Backup Exec on our servers here and haven't really found any problems with it, it does the job it's supposed to very well.

You would probably be happy with either of the products if reviews are anything to go by.

"It Depends"

I like Tivoli Storage Manager... but "I'm not married to none of 'em..."

if it works within the service levels you need to support, it's a good product...

Setnaffa is an MCSE-4.0 (working on W2K) with a few other certs, too...

HI.

I work with both products, and Backup Exec seems more user friendly to me.
Both products have many options, and agents for different purposes.
You must check what agents and optional add-ons you need - these can make a big different in pricing.

Do you have an Exchange server? This will require an additional agent.

Anyway, the most important things are not the product you have but how you use it - for example:
* A well desinged backup procedure , tape rotation, documentation and storage.
* A good implementation of the above.
* Making test restore (partial and disaster recovery).
* Monitoring the backup proccess.
etc.

You probably already know all that but I wrote this because like with backup - better do too much then too less...

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Arcserve 100% of the way. I've used both for a long time, adn Arcserve has proven to be much better in all areas of performance, usability, compatibility, restoring and upgradability.

I'm a huge fan on Backup Exec. I've sold and admin'd both. Much prefer BE. ArcServe tech support is terrible. You call, they call you back, hours or a day later. Just not acceptable to me.

You do pay for BE support. But anytime I've needed them, they've got me going again, quickly. Which was important for me while I was consulting and being paid by the hour. I couldn't wait at the site, and being called back on CA's time table, sure didn't work for me.

I'm sure you'll find both sides well represented here. I can only go my experience and those of others I know, who have used both, and stuck with BE.

Good luck!

after just spending 17 hours replacing some discs in our server, and finding that arcserve is infact terrible in every way......i'd go with veritas.....it does what its told and works nicer......you can also browse the tape with veritas.....arcserve needs to go away.

Veritas Leaves ArcServe for Dead.
You will never need to use Tech Support.
CA's Tech Support is the Worst on earth....

Hi,

Just my 2 pence worth here.

I support both BE and Arcserve. And for ease of use and support, BE wins hands down. Arcserve seems to like to complicate things. Like reporting a incomplete backup when the WINS and DHCP files are skipped!!! Of course this scares the end user to death!!!! But of no real techy benefit at all, why tell me DHCP files are skipped???

And as for the usless arcserve tape database!!

Try to avoid Arcserve at all costs! Terrile piece of software!

When it comes to BE, yes their tech support are very knowledgable and quick to help

i personally hate for call back, cuz half of the time when they call back, i already figure way out
yes older BE has its own problem, but since, the software had improved so much

BE all the way

Thanks for all your comments. Seems like BE is ahead on Ease of use and friendly support. Have ordered an evaluation copy of BE, but it does not seem easy to get an evalution copy of Arcserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back