Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas help with WinNT4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephendudra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
I get the following error in the Event Detail.

Event ID: 34113
The job failed with the following error: Device could not be backed up because an error occured while connecting to Remote Agent for Windows Servers. Make sure that Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target system.

It is running, it is logged in as the Administrator account. I even used Veritas's Technote 255498 to change the port that NDMP uses in Veritas backup exec 9.0 from 10000 to 120000.

Still not working. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. This is a new install of the software and the tape drive on the system.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Stephen

stephendudra

make sure the remote agent service is using the Local System Account, not the Administrator account - if it still fails, try uninstalling and re-installing it.

If it still fails, can you post the failue message from the job itself.

I agree with justin,

I have encountered the same error, and I have resolved it by uninstalling the remote agent , and then restart the server and install the agent again.

I agree with justin,

I have encountered the same error, and I have resolved it by uninstalling the remote agent , and then restart the server and install the agent again.

Jerry

I have tried it both as the system Account and the Administrator account. Neither work. I have uninstalled the entire Veritas software off the server and still no luck.

This is the exact message from the backup when it tries to run.

Backup 0011 -- The job failed with the following error:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target system.

stephen

Is this the error you get when you backup the local server, or a remote server?

If it is the remote server - when you try and setup a new backup job, are you able to select the server? or is it grayed out?

I'm having this exact same problem w/ BE 9 on Win2k3. Were you ever able to resolve it? Anyone?

From the backup server, you should be able to telnet to the port on the other server and get a connection. If you cannot, then something is either blocking (firewall) or using the port on the other server. You should also be able to run a netstat -a on the remote server and see Port 10000 (or in your case, the port you changed it to) in a listening status while the remote agent is running.

Hope that helps

Ok here's the deal. The box I was restoring to was not on the network, and we can't put it on our network (we have no authority - multi-agency contractor provided network). We are testing our contingency plan.

I found a solution...

I added a MS Loopback network adapter. Everything ran happily then.... Until we realized we didn't make one of our partitions big enough (duh) and the restore bombed.

New problem...

Starting over after rebuilding the server, we go to catalog our media and -nothing- . the catalog job never stops nor actually seems to be doing anything. Anyone have any ideas?

How did you install the remote agent? Most of the servers we have, did not worked when it was pushed from the media server. I had to copy the RANT32 directory and install by commdand line.

Also is the agent a 9.0 agent?

Can you see it when browsing or is a user defined selection?

Have you tried lowering the agent priority in the backup job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back