Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas Help needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcny33

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
This morning I rebooted our old Sun SPARC 20 server which has Veritas Volume Manager 2.4 running on it... For some reason all of the sudden the "vxconfigd" dameon did not start and prompted the following error messages:

vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: Segmentation Violation
vold is not enabled for transactions

I tried to start the vxconfigd daemon on the command line but got the same results as above... Not sure what is happeneing?? Its weird because I rebooted the server last week and it came up fine... In between that time there were no changes made to the server... So the way I got my Volume manager file systems to mount this morning was that I changed the date to reflect last year and rebooted the server... The serer came up fine with no flaws... I then just used the date command to change it to the current date... But If I reboot it again I get the segmentation violation errors as I mentioned above... Anybody know what the heck could be going on???

Thanks

Sounds like a 2008 bug. :)

But seriously, if it's date related, maybe it's something to do with the licences? Once you change the date, are still you able to query the licences? I think the command was vxlicense -p on that version, although it's been a while!

Annihilannic.

I try and query the licence... I have no clue what is going on since it was working fine before the last reboot... Maybe like 3 weeks ago... I know the version we are using is as old as dirt but who knows...
Thanks

reboot the system & if it fails with the vxconfigd error again,that could be blamed on the file "/etc/vx/volboot" which might be missing or corrupt.

Were you able to find a fix for vxconfigd core dumping?

I had the same problem with Veritas VxVM version 2.3 on two old Sun servers. I had to do the same trick of changing the date in single-user, boot the system and change the date back. However, it still core dumps when vxconfigd is run. That's a problem if you need to create new disks while online since Veritas requires vxconfigd to be running to work on it...

I did find an item from 1998 in the Sun-Managers Mailing List Archives at " It says there *was* a "Year 2008" problem that was fixed in the version 2.5.3 back then. Don't know how to get that ancient version after so many years now.

Thanks for posting the original problem. I wasn't the only one with it! <grin>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back