Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas BE 9.1 restoration problem .Catalog isn't UPDATING media list 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongeBob12

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2006
US
I am having trouble restoring media data.
I catalog an archive tape, but the restore wizard does not show me the new catalog list from the tape. It shows me a few that are on the drive, which I do not need. The situation is the same for any tape. I have cataloged my archive tape a few times repeatedly. I hope in the process, I did not lose any data.
Please help.
My platform info:
Win 2003 Server
BE 9.1
Thanks.

Dont use the restore wizard. Click the restore button and switch between media view and resource view

Still the same thing. It just shows me a list to pick up from, which is an old /existing list on the hard drive.
Does not give me the new list.
As a matter of fact, when I switch views from Media to Resource, it shows me my computer name and a few other computers on the network. When I double click on my computer, it shows me the C: and D: which are 2 partitions on my HDD. It does not show me the tape drive.
Dang it.

I would stop the service and rename the backup exec\nt\catalog folder
Start the services
run a catalog on the tape. It will show what is exactly on that tape.

Its possible that the tape was overwritten or the backup spanned another tape or something.

After you run the restore rename the old catalog folder back.

Thank you Steve, I think that worked. Atleast I hope so...
because in the job monitor log, I was seeing 0 for count byte so far, and now it is at 89 Gigs. :)
Thanks a bunch.
I have 2 more questions :
1> Are the numbers allocated (by veritas) to the Catalog job, connected to/associated with, the 'Restore' job? In other words, if I have a catalog0123, Can I invoke a restore job, go to the drop down list and pick '0123' to be restored ? If yes, I am in trouble because, my 'catalog' numbers are not being shown in the 'Restore' drop down box.
If you can confirm my theory that both numbering systems are independent, then I guess I am ok.

2> .U01 files : Are they associated with the number of catalog listings on my tape? ie., one .U01 file for each catalog listing?

Please let me know.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back